Aspire 9300(-3375)

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
GraVmaN
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have an Acer Aspire 9300 and had a bios flash failure. Now my laptop is dead and the usual recovery procedure does not work.

My next choice is to build a programmer (already done) and connect to the board externally and reflash. My problem... Acer puts a sticker on the bios chip and when I peeled it away I found that not all of the chip info was present. I could only read that it is an MX chip, model number beginning with 29LV80 and the rest is gone (I see enough to know there is more).

I can get my hands on another working machine if I could find a utility that could identify the bios chip type and model. I've already tried CPUID-z and it just tells me vague bios info on this machine. On my desktop it tells me everything. I need something else, any ideas?
GraVmaN

Discovered the chip ID to be MX29LV800T and have reflashed machine and working again.
cyberdyne

I too have an Acer Aspire 9300 which has suffered a bad BIOS flash. The laptop had v.1.14 BIOS and their web site said there was an update available - v.1.20
I downloaded and ran the update and the process was totally automated. Unfortunately, when the laptop rebooted, it would not POST, nor show any BIOS info. There was simply a flashing underscore '_'

How did you flash your BIOS please and would you recommend I do the same?
Thank you
cyberdyne

Can anyone offer any advice on this please?
Thank you
cyberdyne

This can be closed, have found help elsehwere.
GraVmaN

I do apologize for not getting back to this sooner (missed emailed post notifications somehow).

I discovered that the v1.20 bios has had support for 4gb memory removed. I had to pull a 2gb strip of memory out and the system fired up again. 6 months I was without my machine because of the morons at Acer making such a stupid move like this. I flashed back to orginal that I had backed up and put memory back, everything has been fine since. I will say that I will NEVER buy an Acer product again.
cyberdyne

GraVmaN wrote:I do apologize for not getting back to this sooner (missed emailed post notifications somehow).

I discovered that the v1.20 bios has had support for 4gb memory removed. I had to pull a 2gb strip of memory out and the system fired up again. 6 months I was without my machine because of the morons at Acer making such a stupid move like this. I flashed back to orginal that I had backed up and put memory back, everything has been fine since. I will say that I will NEVER buy an Acer product again.
Thanks very much for this. The issue of v1.20 not supporting 4gb of ram was exactly what was wrong.

Many many thanks
GraVmaN

Glad I could help, unlike Acer who is clearly incapable of doing anything useful.
cyberdyne

GraVmaN wrote:Glad I could help, unlike Acer who is clearly incapable of doing anything useful.
I wonder now if they'll release a version higher than 1.20 which will hopefully support 4gb again.
Such a pain in the backside to be honest as this has cost my Dad over £700 for a new PC when in fatc, it turns out he didnt need one.
GraVmaN

Put in a formal complaint to Acer like I did. I guarantee you'll also be ignored like I was. They just don't care.

I wish I knew more about the bios myself, the coding and so forth. I'd mod one of the updated versions.
cyberdyne

GraVmaN wrote:Put in a formal complaint to Acer like I did. I guarantee you'll also be ignored like I was. They just don't care.

I wish I knew more about the bios myself, the coding and so forth. I'd mod one of the updated versions.
Maybe we could ask someone to do it for us.

Edit: I have now done so elsewhere.
I'll let you know if there are any results.
cyberdyne

By the way, have you tried v.1.7 or v.1.9 for 4gb ram compatibility?
Thanks

EDIT:
Just tried them both and they're both fine with 4gb. Now using v1.9.
GraVmaN

If I recall correctly, I'm using v1.14 with 4gb.
cyberdyne

Well if you fancy trying it, v.1.19 does work with 4GB.

Just FYI, if you weren't aware, the reason Acer didn't warn of the 4GB RAM non-support in v.1.20 is because the 9300 was never meant to support 4GB in the first place: http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/notebook/0000/Acer/Aspire9300/Aspire9300sp2.shtml. I'd be interested to know if v.1.20 supports its' reported 3GB max though.