Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
#35494 by borg1
Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:06 pm
I have a Gateway Solo 2150 laptop that I upgraded to a 40GB harddrive then discovered that the Phoenix bios on the 440BX/ZX MB will only support 32GB. I recognizes the harddrive but when trying to install Windows or Linux, it will not boot into the OS after the installation effort. After seeing the recommendation here, I loaded OnTrack and can get it to work but it takes about a half-hour to boot. This is a Fujitsu drive and has no 32gb jumper.

So it appears the real solution is to fix the bios. I am still trying to formulate how to go about this, but the first problem I encountered is that the bios rom I downloaded from Gateway's site shows as 513kb and the Phoenix Bios editor will not open it. I took a look with a hex editor, and the first half of the file is all FF. Can I just delete enough of the FF's to bring the file down to 512kb? Is it common in the bios world to put the code at the end of the file or is there some translation that occurs during the flashing process?

I hope that if I read enough here, I can figure out the rest but I don't see a lot of posts about Phoenix bioses. If this is a wasted effort, will someone tell me now?