Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
#33775 by Jessica12
Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:29 pm
Hi guys I have a few questions,

1.)
I just got an IBM 600E from eBay to play around with that I want to put my PIII 750Mhz processor in but I need to correct a problem first.

I just replaced the CMOS battery because when I first bought it the machine wouldn't POST. Now that I have a new battery in it it will POST but it gives me IBM error code 188 which is a bad EEPROM checksum. Does anyone know how to correct this without replacing the mainboard?

2.)
Once I have the POST error 188 resolved I will most likely need to flash a new BIOS to the chip. I don't have a 1.44 Floppy drive, I only have a CDR/RW drive. I know how I can extract the .img file from the floppy and how to convert it to an ISO to burn to a CD but has anyone tried this? I haven't looked into the BIOS update file so I don't know if there is any A:\ specific references in the file that would cause a problem during flashing.

The sooner I can get this stuff resolved the sooner I can get to the fun part of my project which is fitting in the heatsink and fan that i made with copper contact pad, high speed 4500 rpm fan and copper cooling fins for a stable 810 Mhz and 900+ experimenting with the PCMCIA FSB booster card.

Thanks guys!