Turning to the experts having run out of steam....
I recently acquired a Maxdata ECO 3100X laptop, advertised with a 2.6GHz P4. This was loaded with a questionable copy of Vista, so tried to install XP, 2000 and/or Linux (tried all unsuccessfully). The installs halt during format (2000), system checking (before install- XP), or fail to load the kernel (Linux).
After a bit of head scratching, RAM swaps and HDD disconnect, problems are still apparent.
1. Laptop model (bottom label) is N35BS1; rebadged Uniwill...?
2. System diagnostics show 1300MHz for the CPU, not 2600
3. CPU turns out to be SL6WH- P4 2.6GHz HT, 800MHz FSB
AMI EC951 Version: 1.10
Board seems to report
MAXDATA N34BS1 5123660003
I strongly suspect that the machine has been fiddled with or 'rebuilt'.
Since Maxdata are no more, I ask for some assistance:
1. Can anyone help me find out what chip should be in the machine? I initially thought the max speed was 2.4GHz w/ 400/533 FSB (from Uniwill site), however have acquired a P4 2.4GHz chip @ 533 which won't get all the way through the boot. I now find conflicting info that it may be Celeron or P4-M chips for the board...
2. Would a BIOS update enable me to recognise either of these chips? I am reluctant to do this unless absolutely necessary.
3. Some Uniwill documentation mentions the SW6 jumber- presumably not present on all boards; where would this be?
4. Could I be completely off in my assumptions!?
Thanks in advance-