Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
#53601 by ohaya
Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:36 am
Hi,

I have two HP/Compaq TC1100 Tablet PCs, and I'd like to upgrade them to 802.11n by replacing the current mini-PCI card with a TP-Link TL-WN861N card.

I believe that this card uses an Atheros AR5416-AC1A chipset.

The problem is when I install the TP-Link card into the TC1100, I get a "104-Unsupported wireless device" message, and it stops there.

I've been searching for awhile now, and I think that I understand at least some of the alternatives.

Also, I've recently tried flashing the BIOS back to the original TC1100 BIOS, F.03, and still get the same "104" message. In fact, with the F.03 BIOS, it even gave me that message with the original WIFI card, so there's definitely a whitelist, even in the oldest BIOS.

I guess that I'm at the point that I'm ready to look at modifying the device id, etc. in the BIOS to try to get this working.

So, the first thing that I did is run the softpaq .exe for F.0F (the latest BIOS), and found the bios.WPH file.

However, looking at that file using a hex editor, I can't seem to find anything that looks like device id, etc.

So, I was hoping that someone here might help me get started with this.

The latest F.0F BIOS is "sp30961.exe".

And, as I said, when I run that EXE, I get, among other things, a bios.WPH file.

Thanks!

Jim