Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
#40933 by learner
Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:18 am
First, I am sorry i did post this in the wrong section of the forum, as this is related to my notebook, and ram.

I have a sotec 3120x notebook,(now it is call averatec, and the product is discontinued). It officially support only 384mb, but I have recently bought a piece of pc133 512mb memory to add to it as i heard a lot of people got it working.

At the first try when it was plug in, the computer boots, and works, and still works even when i push the memory load beyond 384mb to the 400+mb. However, once i shutdown(and restart), or straight restart. It stop work, simply a black screen comes up and nothing appears. when i take out the ram, it works again.

I have been looking for a utiliy to back up my bios, so that i can try to flash it with a bios update from the motherboard manufacturer( averatec/sotec don't have update for this). However, i have find none that is useful as up to this point in time. The bios is a AMI BIOS, and the memory is a Kingmax 512mb, with 8 chip on each side. I have try the AMI flashing program from dos, and it says my bios is not flashable, but when i check it with other programs(sandra, amidiag, etc) it say it is flashable. Maybe i will try another version later.

But does anyone know any program that i can use to backup my AMI bios? Or does anyone have any suggestion as to what I can do to fix it. Please help, anyone!!!