am I on the right track at least ?

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
Tehcamel
New visitors - please read the rules.

Background:
I have an old Inspiron 510M laptop that recently started producing a 1 inch thick white line right down the middle of the panel. I've been able to isolate it to the panel, and found a replacement panel, but it's not the same panel model.
(The existing was LP150E07, the new is LTN150P02 or something simlar)

It connects up, and powers up, but the image is fuzzy, out of place and not quite right. I suspect this is because the sync and refresh and controller codes are not correct for this particular model panel.

The video controller is an Intel 855/GM or 855GME and the bios appears to be a dell-custom Phoenix bios.
Question:
I am of hte opinion that as both panels are SXGA+ 1400x1050, I should be able to make it work. My theory is, I may simply be able to attack the video bios and give it the correct details to control the new panel.

Is this possible to do, or am I simply wasting my time even trying?
If it's possible, I'll do lots more reading on this wealthy forum and thne come back with some better, specific questions if necessary.

Would I attack the video bios, or the system bios ?

This would be my first foray into doing anything at this low a level, and i'm actually kind of excited about the idea.. I just don't want to do it for no purpose.

(I'm also completely aware of the possibility that I may destroy the laptop. It's a loss we're prepared to take - it's barely useful as it is, however my partner prevents me spending 180$ to get a panel that's an exact match to this one.. it's probably ont worth that much to us..

Yea.. anyway.. thanks for your feedback :)
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

the panel/panel controller chip is a pretty tight combo and your new panel simply is not suited for the panel controller. There's no real standards for that yet like there is for VGA for example. Find a suitable panel.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
Tehcamel
New visitors - please read the rules.

buggah :(

thakns for the feedback