Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
ar@gon
New visitors - please read the rules.

on boot i have this warning appear:

award bootblock bios v1.0

bios rom checksum error
detecting floppy drive a media...
insert system disk and press enter_

this is happened after flashing bios wrong bios i guess.
i tried to reprogramming the rom with uniflash but floopy drive wont read

motherboard : socket-478 FIC VI31
rom chip is : sst 39sf020a
chip was flashed and test okey says on the uniflash notes.
but when i tried to flash, floppy wont read neither its own old bios i donwload from hp website.

uniflash notes was saying: dont forget to disable write project on the bios or motherboard jumpers. well i cant get in to bios settings anymore and i dont know if i have that jumper on the motherboard.

any succestions please :idea:
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Did you clear the CMOS after flashing ?
If the BIOS bootblock is not loading from the floppy drive it sounds as though you did flash the wrong version.
If you have another PC, maybe you could hot-swap flash (as described in the FAQ relating to this forum on the main Wim's site )?
ar@gon

i did flash the cmos but still no luck!

i have another pc but old motherboard chip is different, i am gonna swap the floppy drive from old one and see if is read and boot!! :idea:
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

ar@gon wrote:i did flash the cmos but still no luck!
No, you *flash* the BIOS, you *clear* the CMOS by using the CMOS Clear jumper or removing the battery.
ar@gon

i just try to flush again but same error message again and floppy drive wont read for some reason i can see the power ligt comes on and goes off.
i thing there is write protection on the chip or something and i dont know if any jumber on the motherboard for it to disable
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Did you clear the CMOS after flashing the BIOS?

If you managed to flash the BIOS once there cannot be a write protect jumper on the board.
ar@gon

no i couldnt do the flash becouse it says reading floppy drive a:
insert system disk and press enter.
but actually floppy light come on for seconds only and wont read the disket!!.... i need to find out abaut how to do autoexec.bat file and add the line or edit the last line or something.. :?:
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

ar@gon wrote:this is happened after flashing bios wrong bios i guess.
Have you cleared the CMOS since then ?
ar@gon

i have cleared cmos but nothing has changed....
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

OK.

The checksum error suggests one of the following:
1. The flash process was interrupted before completion.
2. The flash chip is faulty.
3. There is a problem with the chipset/RAM/processor.
4. You had a virus which corrupted the BIOS.

If you sucessfully finished flashing the wrong BIOS there should not be a checksum errror; often the motherboard is dead, sometimes it just doesn't boot from any drive.
The "bootblock" section of the Award BIOS should allow you to boot from diskette.
Your problem:
bios rom checksum error
detecting floppy drive a media...
insert system disk and press enter_
Scenario 1:
You insert a diskette, press enter and it reads the diskette.
Create a bootable diskette with the Award flash program, the BIOS file and an autoexec.bat with one line which says:
"awdflash filename /sn /py /cc /cd /ce", where awdflash is the name of the award flasher (e.g. awdfl812.exe) and filename is the name of the BIOS image file. No config.sys should be present on the diskette. Remember to leave several minutes after the diskette stops loading for the flash to take place.

Scenario 2:
You insert a diskette, press enter and the diskette drive lights up briefly but the diskette is not read
Sometimes the bootblock was not correctly configured for the I/O. In this case you could try using an ISA multi-I/O card to connect the diskette drive.

If this does not work, consider hot-flash or getting your BIOS ROM re-programmed or replaced.
ar@gon

i wish i had that multi ISA card to try but i havent unfortunately, so i got no choise but to sent it to repair from hp..thanks for your help anyway...i try 1st senario but didnt work floppy lights up but not read exactly like you mention...and rom not removable to the hot flash..its attached directly to base...thanks anyway at least i learn more staff abaut computing:))