Need to ID MoBo to identify proper BIOS (checkSum error)

How-to identify your motherboard ?
goldschlager
New visitors - please read the rules.

PC aquired - used generic brand

MotherBoard is dead - checksum error and all non BIOS flash suggestions have been unsuccesful (system worked for 2 months - error occured after reboot) - here is the info found on it. Thanks in advance for any help

BIOS Chip
AWARD
PCI/PNP 686

Chips -
VIA VT82C693A
9943CDE TAIWAN
14C425331

WINBOND
W83977EF-AW

IDENTIFICATION NUMBERS ON BACK OF BOARD
PWB 20720-001 REV:C01
KL000010DG D-YING M-V0 E150630 94V-0 9942

Sticker on side of ISA - 99480K

Vitals:
Slot 1 (currently housing a PIII 450)
1 AGP
3 PCI
1 ISA
3 DIM
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Check top surface for any markings. On the same screen where it says checksum error there should also be a string in the lower left corner. Reply with that too.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
goldschlager

I only get to the BootBlock BIOS (v1.0 - 1998)
BIOS ROM Checksum - then looks for the floppy
No string in lower corner.

one sticker on surface appears to be a unique part number.......

There is a "CE" between the AGP & 1st PCI slot - No other identifiers (why I pulled it out to check the backside)

There is an "FC" disclaimer ("tested to comply... home or office use").... but no FCC # for me to try to find a reference on.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Try to Clear CMOS ( Read the manual how to do that) and if using two or more sticks of memory test only with one stick - possible one of them is gone into heaven
IF you only have one stick then ask a friend to give you one of his sticks

Is your computer a self made one or from a big name such as Compaq HP or another ?
goldschlager

Computer is a no name brand - "Frontier Systems" purchased from a used shop (who I'll be calling today) that specializes in small company equipment clearance- nothing found google'ing or in local yellow pages on the make name.

I was able to get in when I first saw the behavior by resetting several times (worked once).... however after clearing the CMOS I've been unable to get in (now that I know where to find the BIOS string!) I've got 3 SIMM's and I've tried it with every possible combination to no avail.
(thanks to all for trying to help me with this!)
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

D-Ying's website is not very forthcoming about who they manufacture PCBs for. I wonder whether it's worth an email ?
goldschlager

e-mail sent to D-YING.... will update with reply. If no info is forthcoming do I have any options?
Toby B
Compaq-Fu Master

Any chance at finding out the numbers from the other VIA chip?

if you can send me a pic of the board and I will upload it so we can all see what it looks like and we can go from there.

Toby
Compaq-Fu Master
goldschlager

UPDATE: Reply from D-YING useless..... clear they couldn't even translate my e-mail as they seemed to think I wanted to place an order. Did find the following item from a dogpile search however.

someone with a part # very close to my own posted the following
http://www.driverzone.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000508.html

and was given the following reference board

http://www.bcmcom.com/tech/GT440ZX/GT440ZX.htm

that looks VERY close to my own (only visual difference i can find quickly is I have 3 DIM slots vs. 2 & the chipsets are the ones I list at top of this topic.... does this help?
goldschlager

FOUND IT!!!!!!!

GT693VA

Now what?
goldschlager

realize this would belong in different thread but all the info is here....... ID'd the board, downloaded the BIOS, made bootable floppy and copied files. Unfortunately the system seems to just lock up with the floppy ( or others formatted bootable) in.... no A prompt brought up. Can only assume BootBlock is corrupt too. question - better to buy new chip or send this one for reprogramming?
Toby B
Compaq-Fu Master

Well you might be looking at an OEM Packard Bell motherboard. In which case you may experience problems such as you have already. If you were to want to get the non-OEM BIOS file onto the BIOS chip it may render the board useless either way (i.e. new chip or reprogrammed one).
Compaq-Fu Master
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

I think we established it is not inside a PB system but one built by Frontier Systems. Unless they are recycling PB boards that is. Even then it is one I have never seen before in a Packard Bell.
http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/pbmb2.htm

There are a few options here.

1: bios chip is dead. solution: http://www.badflash.com
2: bios chip has gone haywire due to bad flash or virus killing the bios info. solution: hotflash the chip or http://www.badflash.com
3: bios battery is completely flat. solution: replace battery
4: bad keyboard. solution: try another keyboard
5: bad power supply. solution: try another power supply
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...