Please help a nonstarter

BIOS Questions that don't belong in the other forums. Read them!
mrgordie1
New visitors - please read the rules.

Please help !!!!!!!!
OK I keep this error message on one of my PC's
Bios(62): Hard disk 1 Failure, Status=20h
Bios(23): Hard disk init Failed

I have taken hard disk out and boots up fine on other computors
Tried two different hard drives still get same error messages
both these hard drives boot up fine in other computors
Have tried boot up disks can get into C:\ drive but when I execute win file I get a blue screen something about VFAT error

could anybody have some thoughts on this
Ok it is a Fujitsu ErgoPro e
It has a OPTI chipset
HDD is a western Digital Caviar 21600
I have tried a western Digital Caviar 26400 and a Quantum Big foot and the 3 hard drives boot up fine in 2 other computors
I cant get into the Bios set up it is passworded and have not been able to beat it yet so I cant change anything
:oops:
soupy
Absentee administrator

I cant get into the Bios set up it is passworded and have not been able to beat it yet so I cant change anything
Sounds like this is the first problem you need to address. Checked our FAQ?
Flash your BIOS at your own risk.
Hardware Junkie
Mobo-Fu Master

My guess would be the settings are not setup properly in the BIOS. I simple IDE Detection would clear your hard drive woes.

What kind of motherboard are you looking at? Most have a clear CMOS jumper on the motherboard. It would clear the password and all settings in the BIOS.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Hardware Junkie wrote:My guess would be the settings are not setup properly in the BIOS. I simple IDE Detection would clear your hard drive woes.

What kind of motherboard are you looking at? Most have a clear CMOS jumper on the motherboard. It would clear the password and all settings in the BIOS.
As this is a Fujitsu PC product, the first place to look is http://www.fujitsu-siemens.co.uk/rl/ser ... Index.html. This has an "identify your PC" tool as well as linksto manuals.

The motherboards are specific to ICL/Fujitsu/Fujitsu-Siemens PCs; I think Acer made the motherboards under contract. The motherboard part no could vary within an Ergo model, so make sure it ties up. The part no starts "AC" e.g. "AC41760" and should be on a label.

I have just been helping my brother with identifying the "force flash" pads on two old ErgoPros to clear the passwords and update the BIOS at the same time. Let us know how you get on, Mrgordie1.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"