Anyone ever had this experience?

Discusses BIOS flashers and utilities from Award, AMI and Uniflash
Badut
New visitors - please read the rules.

I found that using bios rev 1007 (which is the bios that was on the chip when I board my a7n8x-x) makes the system unstable.
Using rev 1009 is even worse.
HOWEVER, if I go backwards and use 1005. It seems to be fine.

Anyone ever had this experience? What would be the cause of this?
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I'm sure there are many possibilities, but three that come to mind are:

1) The obvious. Possibly the updates are just buggy. Although this is obvious I consider it somewhat unlikely.
2) Maybe some default settings in the newer BIOSs are tweaked for higher performance, which may be stressing your system hardware beyond the limits of stability.
3) Maybe RAM. Possibly user-adjustable or non-user adjustable settings in the newer BIOSs related to RAM are pushing your RAM modules beyond stability. I had this once when I exchanged a board thinking it was faulty, and when I got the exchange I installed it, powered it up and most times it gave me no video - although just occassionally. Turned out the exchange had a later BIOS revision (same board) than the first and the RAM modules used nicely with the first board were not quite compatible with the exchange. So I got some other RAM and then it was fine with video and POST every time. What I am saying is check that you are using reasonable quality memory; perhaps you are having a different type of mobo/BIOS/RAM compatibility issue that is resulting in memory stability problems rather than I what I had. You could also consider down-tuning your memory settings in the newer BIOS but I would not trust that to give you the same result as making sure you have reasonable quality memory in the first place.