I Need Board Settings for a SIS 5595 [AMD or ASUS ?]

Request help finding jumper settings or a motherboard manual.
chriss
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I would appreciate some advice on the motherboard SIS 5595... I took the board from a Compaq Presario.

I'm attempting to build it into another computer, I am having problems getting the monitor to start-up. Along the top side of the board there are some settings that you can manually configure and there is another panel of settings that can be manually configured on the left side of the board.
I've tried a few different configurations just to see what it will do. The settings appear to turn different parts of the board on and off.
It sounds like the hard drives are starting up but I can't get the monitor to start, so I'm a bit stuck to continue until I get the monitor going.

If you know of this board and are familiar with the manual configuration [on and off] settings on the board I would really appreciate some assistance.
I've searched the net to find the manual for this board with not any luck.

Thanks allot,
Chriss
zonxar
Master Flasher

We will better be able to help if you can supply more info about the motherboard or Presario system it came from. Are there any markings, such as a model number printed on the board surface, how many PCI slots, how many DIMM slots, what type of processor, etc.?

You mentioned ASUS - does it say that on the board surface? Compaq usually has a spare part number printed on the board, any of this kind of info will help to ID the motherboard.

:)
chriss

:D
Thanx for your quick reply,

I've examined the board; this is the information I can offer you:

3 Dimm Slots

Board takes PC133-SDRAM- Double Sided

Socket 7

3 Small and 2 Large Card Slots

The number that is printed on the motherboard chip is: PJD3651 9936CF

It dosen't say that the board is made by ASUS on the board.
The processor chip says AMD on it.

Thank you,
zonxar
Master Flasher

Hi Chriss,

I believe from your description that you have an OEM board made for Compaq by GigaByte, model GA-5SMM:

Some info here:

http://www.ctechinfo.org/model/ga-5smm/ga-5smm.html

and here:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/MotherBoard/ ... -5SMM.htm#

The manual can be downloaded here:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Motherboard/ ... A-5SMM.htm

KachiWachi
The New Guy

What model Compaq did you take the board from?
chriss

I've set the jumpers and switches on the board to what the manual says...
I have all the hardware working...
:cry:
Problem:
I cannot get into the bios... The system wants to boot straight to XP and then hangs itself and reboots over and over again. I get a flash of a message from the start up screen then it disapears quickly and goes straight to XP.

Perhaps it has something to do with the CPU clock settings ?
zonxar
Master Flasher

Hi again Chriss,

It probably came from a 5400 series Presario. Depending whether the board was manufactured before or after 2002, press either the F1 or F10 key (quickly) as the computer starts to boot. Hopefully that should get you into the BIOS. What are you using for a CPU? SW1 is used to set the bus speeds, SW2 sets the CPU voltage and multiplier.

chriss

:?:
The number for ROM PCI/ISA BIOS is 2A5IMG09, CMOS setup utility by Award Software Company.

Once I'm in the BIOS, The menu is unusually naked, I mean there is very few commands in the menus, including the bios feature set-up and integrated peripherals. There isn't even a hard drive detection utility in it.

:?:
Do I need to download and install drivers or software ?
If I do, are the driver links the ones that you already sent me through the board information URLs?

CPU: All I know is that it is an AMD... Its the CPU chip that originally came in it. Unfortunately I've already got rid of the rest of the computer that came with this board. It was a very small box, virtually impossible to work with unless you completely unassemble the whole inside to get to the main board.

You have been a great help, thanx....
zonxar
Master Flasher

Hi Chriss,

Here is a picture of the CPU that indicates the type of info we're looking for:

If you could post the info off your's, we can help with switch settings. Also, I believe this has on-board video, so for shared memory you need a memory stick in DIMM 1(according to the manual).

Did all the components on you new system come from the original Compaq - eg. memory, hard drive with Win XP, etc.?

chriss

Hi Again from Chriss,

This is the CPU Information:

AMD K6-2
Part Number: AMDK62/475AFX
Core Voltage: 2.2
I/O Voltage: 3.3
Datacode: A9933CPCW

I'm building the computer from parts from all different computers...
The only things from the Compaq is the motherboard and CPU chip.

The Ram, HD, Drives are mine I've added...
Other hardware and box are from different systems.

It's my copy of XP installed on the drive, not included with system... I expect I'll have to re-install it or use a win 98 OS as an alternative...

I look forward with assistance on the switch settings, this is completely new to me. :oops:

Thank-you,
8)
Your a warrior...
zonxar
Master Flasher

Hi Chriss,

SW1 should have 1, 2 & 4 set to OFF and 3 set to ON

SW2 should have 1, 4, 6, 7 & 8 set to OFF and 2, 3 & 5 set to ON.

This will set the CPU for 2.2V @ 95 Mhz with a 5X multiplier to give 475 Mhz.

Memory will run at 95 Mhz (so you need PC100 ram) and the PCI bus will run at 31.7 Mhz.

What is the type of memory you are using - is it PC100 and are there 8 or 16 chips on the module? Also, is there a module installed in DIMM 1 to support the onboard video?

Were you going to reinstall XP, or is there info on the hard drive you are hoping to retain? When you powered up did Windows recognize the new devices and install the drivers for them?

chriss

:D

I've put 3 PC100-SDRAM Chips into it to make it go...
I'll have to upgrade the ram, but good enough for now...

I'm installing the Windows 98 OS because I have a plotter going on this computer once I've got it up and running.

Win 98 seems to run the signcutter software better. I had problems getting XP to recognize the plotter and software.

I had to give up my other motherboard that was in that plotter computer originally; to a desperate client who needed something fast and cheap; so I gave her mine...

I raided 4 un-working computers of their motherboards and this GIGABYTE motherboard was the only one with hope...
The other's were dead.

It looks like YOU DID IT !!!
The new operating system is installing with no visible problems....yet.
I'll let you know how it works out...
:wink:

I'll be back....
zonxar
Master Flasher

Hi again Chriss,

I'm glad to hear things are starting to work out. One thing to keep in mind - this board will only accept a maximum of 256 MB per DIMM slot, so a maximum of 768 MB.

Drivers for the motherboard (choose the ones for Win 9x) are here:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Motherboard/ ... A-5SMM.htm

Good luck with your new system and if there are any further questions or problems let us know.

P.S. Any idea what the other motherboards were - any markings on the board surface, etc.?

EDIT: I noticed in the first url with the picture that it says a maximum memory of 384 MB (128 MB per slot) - how much were you planning on using?

:) 8)