dead thinkpad 600e

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
cpu_rookie
New visitors - please read the rules.

hi im not exactly the most computer literate as far as hardware comes particularly for laptops but a spare laptop has died on me and i need to fix it asap for someone.

this is the following error upon boot up 08611 then following testing hardware components I discovered the following systemboard error dev 086 err 22 fru 0010.

The individual using the pc said the trackpoint stop working and so he installed a mouse and then the pc stop working all together. I have searched online for troubleshooting and haven't found any concrete solutions. I plan on doing reparations myself since giving it in for servicing would be too costly. The unit is old and really isn't worth putting much moneyinto. So if anyone has had this problem or knows any step by step instructions to fix this it will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
cpu_rookie

update.

i've since installed the new drivers and when it does systemcheck everything appears to be ok but for some reason it doesn't load me to windows. Can anyone help on how to get windows running again. Thanks!
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

I'd check the RAM, CPU heat, and HDD for faulty sectors.
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

08611 is trackpoint failure. Check the connections. You'll probably have to replace it (it comes with the keyboard, I think).
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Trackpoint error is usually caused by the flat wide cable being broken near the connector on the small add-on card on top of the mainboard.

So best way to boot is to open the laptop and take the keyboard open a bit and twist the cable and then try to boot. Once it boots without 8611 you can go the disable trackpoint either in Windows or by editing CMOS data.

Another possibility is to borrow a keyboard from some other Thinkpad and then boot and disable trackpoint.
rklee1085

how do i get into the bios systems, I bought my laptop form geeks.com and I don't know how to acess the bios.... :cry:
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Erik2006

Sharedoc wrote:Once it boots without 8611 you can go the disable trackpoint either in Windows or by editing CMOS data.
I need a quick-and-dirty way to disable my malfunctioning trackpoint, but there does not seem ot be an option for it in my current bios INET35WW (1.15). What am I missing, or must I upgrade the bios to 1.16 first?
I realize that upgrading the bios is probably a good idea, but I need this fix fast and would prefer to avoid it if possible...

Many thanks in advance...