can't update bios on MS-5169 to 383Beta.zip

Video, SCSI, modem, CDROM/CDR/CDRW, etc.
doc265
New visitors - please read the rules.

I would like to install the MS-5169 383Beta.zip bios update on my board, but I have one problem......I cannot boot from a floppy disk; the floppy drive was working before I switched motherboards

I updated the bios to version 3.3 by forcing the install by holding down the "ctrl" and "home" keys upon start-up, and then wait till I heard 4 beeps, then the install was complete; I tried this method with the beta update here, and it sounded like the disk started up, but all I heard was 2 beeps every few seconds, and waited for several minutes before I removed the disk, assuming that this method doesn't work with this update; does anyone know if there is another way to install this update?

Also, my system will not go past the bios screen upon start-up; it lists both cd drives and the hard drive, but after that nothing happens; any help with either of these would be greatly appreciated
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Tried clearing CMOS?
doc265

yes, did that more than once actually; it doesn't make sense to me; it worked fine with the other board, so it should work with this one; the only thing I can think of is the drive controllers are messed up, and I have no idea what to do about that, if anything can be done; thanks for your post
cp
BIOS Guru

Also, my system will not go past the bios screen upon start-up; it lists both cd drives and the hard drive, but after that nothing happens
try changing the ram timings to slowest settings. or remove the slow rams from the board.
doc265

I have no idea how to change the ram timings, didn't know it could be done; the ram I am using is all the same...3 sticks of pc100 32mb
cp
BIOS Guru

read this and this
doc265

thanks for the sites; I am not sure exactly what you are saying I should look at; sorry if I am sounding kinda dumb here, maybe I am not as smart with this as I thought
cp
BIOS Guru

you should take a look at the memory subsystem settings in the bios. there should be there some settings related to sdram (most important: cas). set them to auto and remove all modules except one. now check if the board goes past the hdd recognition and shows the post summary. if this works put one more module in and check again.
you can try to alter other bios options related to memory settings aswell. just check the bios guide for an explanation on those switches.
doc265

cp, thanks for your post and help in this matter....

I did find "sdram cas latency" listed in the advanced chipset setup, and I have it set to auto; I went thru the motherboard manual and changed all settings in the bios as to what it says are the optimal settings; the cas latency setting was not listed in the manual tho, as were a few others

I have tried a few different sticks of memory, and nothing changes the outcome, I still can't get past the hdd recognition on the bios screen

could it be possible that there has to be a certain type of pc100 memory used on this board in order to be able to work, or should it matter?

oh, I only meant that I wasn't sure what you wanted me to look at on the links you gave in a previous post
Yaye
BIOS Rookie

Are you sure that you have reconnect the bus cable to the floppy drive correctly?
The red striped pin must be connect on the side of pin #1.

Also check the power supply cable and connector.
doc265

yes, I am sure all the cables and connections are right