After all your help: no APM :(

APM/ACPI BIOS questions
Exception
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi guys,

Its been some time, and I can tell you guys I really did read all of the documents posted about the acpi and apm problem.
I have posten my problem before in great extent and will keep it short this time :)

My computer is ACPI complient, but Windows XP doesnt like it and crashes my computer occasionally with the well known errors. I then decided to follow up all your advice and reinstall with the Hall for 'standard pc'. I did so with good results. My computer runs now and it doesnt crash under XP. However I don;t have an APM tab under power options. Since this is a notebook it would be nice to have one. The documents I read suggest I should enable power management in the bios, but I disabled it because of your suggestions.

What do I have to do to make the APM tab show up in Win XP? Should I enable it in the bios anyway?
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

If it's like Win2K, then you'll have to select "Display hidden items" in the Device Manager. Look for "Legacy APM".
Exception

I dont think thats it. Can't find that in the device manager anywhere. Could be something similar though, but I cant find anything in the device manager.
Exception

I found what you're referring to... 'Nt APM/Legacy Interface Node'. Unfortuntely, I didnt find it on my laptop. This would be the reason why the tab isn't there?
Can I manually add that device?
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

That's exactly it.
Funny though that your laptop will only provide ACPI power management, with no option to activate APM.

Don't you perhaps have two entries, like:
ACPI enabled/disabled
Power management by APM enabled/disabled
??

(or similar).

Have you tried a "Detect New Hardware", just in case it's there but mysteriously undetected the first time?
(note: don't manually add it if Windows can't detect it on its own; you may end up with a non-bootable OS)
Exception

I did indeed do a scan for new hardware but nothing showed up. There are no devices present which say anything about power management, apm, or acpi.
I went out on a limb and installed it manually but windows just has a yellow exclamation mark and it doest work. (Desvice could not be started).
I then turned on the power management in the bios. That didnt help either. :((