SuperPower P2BXA memory issues.

Is your memory not fully recognized? (Intel VX chipset Memory recognition)
Powerman2442
New visitors - please read the rules.

I recently received an older computer that I am trying to turn into a half-decent browseing/email computer. It has a SuperPower P2BXA motherboard. Here is a link to one of the very few websites I've found with information about it. http://www.elhvb.com/mboards/superpower ... P2BXA.html

According to that website you can max it out at 768 MB PC-100 SDRAM. When I got it I had 2 x 64 MB sticks in it equaling 128 MB. The person who had it before me installed Windows XP Pro on it, so it is fairly slow. Ordered 2 x 256 MB PC-100 sticks off of the internet, with the intent of using up all 3 DIMMS (2 x 256 & 1 x 64 MB). Finally, got the ram in today. Removed the two 64 MB sticks and installed both the 256 MBs. Powered it on and when I checked in System Properties to see how much ram I had I only had 256 MB.

So, I loaded up EVEREST Ultimate Edition to see what it registered the ram as. It is weird because in BANK 0 it said the stick was a 256 MB PC-133 SDRAM. In BANK 1 it said that it was a 256 MB PC-100. No clue why it is saying one is PC-133 and the other is PC-100. they are the exact same brand (Hyundai 256MB 32x64 SDRAM 168-Pin DIMM). the part number is... 32X64PC100-HYD-N. also in EVEREST Ultimate Edition under Motherboard --> Chipset it says there is 128 MB (SDRAM) in DRAM Slot #1 and 128 MB (SDRAM) in DRAM Slot #2. So I am guessing each BANK is only registering 128 MB of the 256 MB.

If I add one of the 64 MBs to BANK 3 it notices it just fine. My guess is I need to update my BIOs so it will detect 256 MB ram on each BANK. In EVEREST Ultimate Edition under Motherboard --> BIOS it says...

BIOS Type: Award Modular
BIOS Version: P2BXA VER:D.1
Award BIOs Type: Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
Award BIOS Message: P2BXA VER:D.1
System BIOS Date: 01/20/99
Video BIOS Date: 98/10/15

I got the Phenoix's website to see if they have any BIOs for this board. They tell me they no longer support it but I can go to "Esupport.com" for a free BIOS scan (we know how this works). I go to the site, run a scan, and they tell me everything on my board they can update BIOs wise as well as drivers for my other devices. I clikc continue and they want me to pay $29.99 to do it.

Anyone able to help me here? Or give information to help me figure it out? Anything would be great.

Thanks,
Powerman2442

P.S. Still confused about how the one stick in BANK 0 can be running at 133 Mhz an the second stick be running at 100 Mhz, when they are the same chip. This board doesn't even support PC-133. Maybe EVEREST in wrong? Thanks again.
cp
BIOS Guru

the same old story again and again.

read this:
http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/ram_bx_faq.html

it is a hardware limitation with DRAM controller of the intel BX chipset (LX aswell) and can not be removed, altered or changed in any (BIOS, hardware mod, etc) way.
and yes: the sdram you bought is incompatible with the chipset. if you want 768MB (3x256MB) you have to buy compatible sdram modules.
everest only shows PC-133 ram because it reads out the SPD of the memory modules. the intel BX chipset can not run cpu and dram async. the speed grades are maximum values only btw. so you can run PC-133 modules with 66MHz (PC-66) without any problems...as long as the DRAM density is supported by the chipset ofcourse.
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
Powerman2442

So in order to use a 256 MB stick I need to find someone who sells 16x8 memory? Question: would it hurt to leave the current 256s running until I can find a way to get my hands on a 16x8? I'll bet it is going to be hard considering it took me a few tries to find a vendor selling ANY PC-100 ram. You know of any site (based in the US) that sells old PC parts. I've personally never worked on a computer older than a Pentium 3, so I've learned quite a few things about limitations on older hardware, since getting this thing.

Thanks,
Powerman2442
cp
BIOS Guru

well, i'd buy them off of a huge internet auction platform for 1€ max.
i just checked the official prices : around 30€ or 50$ for one module! that's insane.

you can however buy registered or ECC ram, too. the Intel BX chipset supports both, while many other chipsets (SIS, VIA) don't. so you could just buy some of those from the auction page for a low price and test them in your system. most buyers avoid those rams, because urban legends say that you need special hardware (servers often use them) for it. that's wrong, you just need a chipset that supports registered or ECC ram. but don't tell anybody ;)
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
Powerman2442

cp wrote:well, i'd buy them off of a huge internet auction platform for 1€ max.
i just checked the official prices : around 30€ or 50$ for one module! that's insane.

you can however buy registered or ECC ram, too. the Intel BX chipset supports both, while many other chipsets (SIS, VIA) don't. so you could just buy some of those from the auction page for a low price and test them in your system. most buyers avoid those rams, because urban legends say that you need special hardware (servers often use them) for it. that's wrong, you just need a chipset that supports registered or ECC ram. but don't tell anybody ;)
How about this. http://cgi.ebay.com/256MB-PC100-NON-ECC ... 240%3A1318
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

through pricewatch:
http://www.starmicro.net/detail.aspx?ID=463

7$ + 6$ shipping and handling, if you buy more sticks the value gets better I think. So, they right kind of module is available and for a reasonable price. I have some P2/P3/P4 systems in need of a memory upgrade too, I'm looking into something like this.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
Powerman2442

Well the ones on Ebay are $8 + free shipping. I need three so 3 x 8 = $24. Or like you said, 7 x 3 = $21 + 6 (shipping) = $27. I assume shipping 3 sticks of ram would cost as much as one. Really as long as the price is between 7 - 9 dollars (or less) I'd say they are worth it. Anyways, I think that is what I need so I'll maybe b ordering them monday.