Clevo M76S BIOS woes

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
Ket
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi guys, hope I picked the right place for this :)

I have a Clevo M76S and am trying to accomplish at least one of 2 things;

1. Locate a flash program thats able to backup the BIOS and flash the BIOS
2. Find the most updated BIOS for the Clevo M76S.

ANY help on either of these issues would be greatly appreciated :) The reason I'm trying to accomplish one of the above at least is because I'm having extremely poor Mirage 3 3D performance (it can't even run Win7 visual effects properly and even struggles with the crappy 3D grahics view of matches in Football Manager!), I read on the SiS website somewhere that a firmware update was needed, and I would need to contact the manufacturer to obain a updated BIOS with the firmware updated module in it.. ok, so off to Clevo I go. Then comes the snag, theres no BIOS files or flash programs available for download from what I could find on Clevos website. If I could at least obtain a flash utility that can also make a backup of the BIOS I could at least open the BIOS with modbin and see if there are any hidden BIOS options to make the system a little more flexible. Perhaps even come across a memory remapping option that would allow this laptop to recognise and use all 4GB of its memory. Currently 64bit Win7 and 64bit WinXP only see 3GB. This laptop has been a real let-down so far, I wasn't expecting something amazing, but this is just pitiful.

I sit and wait in hope for any help you guys can offer!
cp
BIOS Guru

a bios update (even a video bios update) will not change anything about the performance of the SiS Mirage3. it's just meant to be a good desktop (speak: 2D) vga. and yes, it has 3D hardware acceleration, but its performance is far from anything recent made by other manufacturers.

for more information about the 4GB issue read:
http://blogs.msdn.com/dcook/archive/200 ... emory.aspx
Last edited by cp on Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
Ket
New visitors - please read the rules.

That link doesn't work for me, "Internal server error". I know the Mirage 3 is a crap graphics chip, but I was expecting it to be on the same level as intel graphics; ie, not great but get the job done.

ED- Nevermind the link is working now. To clarify, this Clevo laptop has a dual core 1.8GHz CPU, so its capable of addressing 4GB RAM. As you know I'm running Windows 7 64bit, so all 4GB RAM should be able to be seen, but its not. Hence the need of a BIOS update, if one doesn't exist.. then this POS laptop goes back to ebuyer.
cp
BIOS Guru

bios updates can be found here:
http://www.clevo.com.tw/en/e-services/e ... &type=BIOS

according to the release dates they still keep updating things :)

the SIS Mirage3 is not a crap graphics chip but mere a chip with (known) slow 3D performance and low power consumption. SiS chipsets are used in cheap thinclients, nettops, netbooks and notebooks. their IGPs are just not made with more than just very basic 3D acceleration in mind. opt it in if you're looking for long battery life (or low power consumption) and low price. opt it out if you want to do anything that includes 3D.
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.