No power - notebook dead (Targa visionary XP-210)

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
r2mahara
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have a Targa Visionary XP-210, which did not recognise 2Gb of memory. (it would blue screen when it had more than 1.5 GB). I found a bios update which claimed to fix this.

I was wary, but took a deep breath and dived in. I did not flash in windows - I burned a disc and booted from CD. Part way during the flash, everything froze. I waited a long time ... nothing was responding, so I pulled the power cable and managed to turn the notebook off, hoping it would reboot.

Now, nothing works. The power light doesn't even come on when I plug it in. I did not think a bios update could do this - at the very least I expected a POST beep or at least the charging light to light up when I plug the notebook in. It is totally lifeless.

I am thinking that my only option is to reprogram the bios chip which is removeable PLCC (from one of these internet sites - any recommendations? I am in the UK.) Any other advice? I don't have access to another notebook to hotflash, and I don't have a floppy drive.

Wish I had never tried this - but I really wanted to upgrade the RAM. Can a failed BIOS upgrade cause this, or is something else fried somehow? I'd rather not spend money programming a chip if it is not going to work.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Where did the bios come from? Targa? If not, your warranty is void to start with. Next, what bios flavour is it originally? Sometimes you can actually do a recovery without replacing the chip.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...