BIOS prevents booting

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
Jean-luc
New visitors - please read the rules.

Here is the deal. I have a Toshiba Portege 3010CT running (was running) Windows ME. Default OS is 98. Its used - I did not do the upgrade to ME.

Background: - not too important, i did not make this problem I am sure. But for clarity:

I got the laptop with ME. Through some combination of rebooting (I wasn't really paying attention - it was all in the hands via CTRL-ALT-DEL), I managed to reach the Windows boot menu offering different options (like Normal Mode or Safe Mode). Because I was in a hurry, I punched a number which I believe had an option like "Booted (logged)" or something. The computer rebooted.

Now the problem.

As the computer rebooted (the Toshiba screen came up and then..) I was prompted:
"Invalid system disk
Insert disk, and then press any key"
This is a Portege, and I did not even have the floppy drive attached. Also, I don't have a systems disk (had just bought it).

I got an generic boot disk for ME on the Internet (My Windows 98 works too, but not 95). ME does not boot because I get the "can't find ifshlp.sys - system halted" error. Screw booting for now. I got into some form of Dos and ran Norton Disk Doctor ( a godsend). It found bad timestamps, blank spaces, invalid characters, etc. in the MBR. (Practically) the entire root dir structure was incorrect. Windows cab files had no file allocations and unknown sizes (can't get that backup ifshlp.sys file from there). And there were 8,000+ lost clusters and 4,000 lost chains. The hd is only 4.1 gigs and I am using less than 1/2 of it.

I decided to used this utility:
ctbios - which checks basic BIOS info
It can be found here:
http://www.esupport.com/techsupport/UTILS/ctbios1.zip

Upon running the program, In the line where the bios id should be, the bios is declared UNKNOWN. The next line titled "bios start" reads "........" literally.

OK. Whenever I boot, I get the same error message:
"Invalid system disk
Insert new disk, and then press any key"

Trying to enter the BIOS (on my model press ESC at the Toshiba screen) only sends me straight to the error message (a very bad sign).

Should I:
A) Clear the CMOS (hopefully reset the bios)
B) Install a new bios driver
C) Upgrade the BIOS
D)Install some booting program (like LILO? I dont know.)
E) Install another Windows (98?) and maybe this will go away.

I have no real operating system running (only a DOS core - which I can get in 7.1 or 8.0 flavors). What is the best course of action with the BIOS. This is a sort of multi-issue situation. Thanks for any help.
Joe
Chip off the ol' block

See if you can get to a c: prompt and switch to the C:\windows\command folder then run "FDISK.EXE" if you can then you can at least see if the BIOS sees the hard drive. (chances are it don't) .

If it is, get out of fdisk, and at the C:\windows\command: prompt type: fdisk /mbr

This will rebuild the mater Boot record. Persnally I think your current file system is shot, and the drive has permamnent damage.

Also, at a c: prompt try tying "TSETUP" from what I understand that is the setup utility for Toshiba.

Also, you can boot from the CD Rom drive when you hold ESC during the boot process, in order to load the OS from the CD ROm.

If the BIOS setup utlity is there under "TSETUP" then don't update it.

Joe
Jean-luc

I know what you're thinking Joe with the BIOS not detecting the hard drive. But it does because fdisk works and everything else I can use outside of Windows does as well.

I did the command you suggested
At "C:/Windows/commands>"
I entered "fdisk /mbr"

Nothing happened. I was given a new prompt immediately.

I don't find any damage on the drive with Norton Disk Doctor. I even did a surface scan. The file system was at first shot (after the problem first rose up). But Disk Doctor can check the whole thing without a hitch now.

I have read about Tsetup, but it does not work when I try it. I think the Tsetup is for another Portege series anyway.

I have no CD from which to boot. This is because I bought the laptop used and did not get a copy of the OS from the seller. I do wonder if the CDRW drive works though because it is an IOMEGA USB device. Hmm... I will check that out.

I cannot enter the bios through the ESC key (which is the method on my model). This bothers me and makes me question the BIOS a little. It does do its job of detecting the hardware, but it seems to drop me after that. I know the MBR has errors though. Right now I am focusing on what part the BIOS might play (if any) in this situation. I am really trying to learn a little more about the BIOS. By the way, this site has good info on settings of the BIOS.

Thanks for any help/advice/info.
Joe
Chip off the ol' block

Seems to me like the system is ready for an OS to be installed. If the Fdisk /mbr resulted in a C: prompt then it worked.

You're simply missing the system files for the BIOS to hand off to. You can do that by typing: sys c: at the A: prompt or the C:\windows\command

As for entering the BIOS setup area, it is possible that the ESC is not working? Try an external Keyboard. What should happen is you hit ESC at boot, then F1 to enter BIOS setup.

Joe
Joe
Chip off the ol' block

One more thing,

Before re-installing any OS on this i would recommend deleting the current partition table and recreating a new one.

Joe
Joe
Chip off the ol' block

"have no CD from which to boot. This is because I bought the laptop used and did not get a copy of the OS from the seller. I do wonder if the CDRW drive works though because it is an IOMEGA USB device. Hmm... I will check that out. "

Only if the BIOS supports USB legacy devices, and I don't think that does.

Joe
Jean-luc

I held the ESC key before turning on the power and I was able to enter the BIOS. I was never very good with laptops.

In the bios, there is an option to enable USB legacy emulation. I set it on enable.

I have no copy of ME - I got the laptop at a computer show. I have a copy of Windows 98 that I would like to install (on CD w/ a bootdisk). The system does not recognize any drives or drivers and cancels the Win98 setup.

Is there any way to support my USB device in DOS? The IOMEGA website (maker of my CD-RW) does not have any DOS drivers for the CD-RW.

Thanks
Joe
Chip off the ol' block

You can try "Generic" USB CDrom drivers that you'll find on the internet. Search with google or yahoo.

You also have the option to purchase an adaptor that will adapt the laptop's 2.5" hard drive to a desktop 40pin cable. This allows you to connect the Laptops hard drive to the desktop.

Once connected, just copy the contents of the OS cd to the HD, and move it back to the laptop to run setup.

Joe