need help:amd k6-2 cpu on intel motherboard TC430HX

Don't ask how to over-clock.
yogenfrutz
I didn't read the rules

Hi,
I have an Intel motherboard TC430HX with hx chipset and socket 7.According to intel it accepts Pentium cpu mmx max 233 Mhz.
I have a powerleap adapter,which allows to run amd k6-2 and k6-3 cpus in any older motherboards with socket 7,it has its own multiplier and voltage regulator,only the motherboard needs to recognize the cpu.
But obviously,an intel motherboard does not recognize a Amd cpu.
I used that adapter on some older motherboards,each time it just worked fine.Only on this intel motherboard,there just happens nothing:no beep,the screen stays black,not a single reaction.I tried the cpu direct in the socket,to see if the problem comes from the adapter,but the result was just the same.
As a conclusion:this motherboard only runs cpu from intel.(the frequency is not the problem,as the k6 was set to 200 Mhz only)
Now my question:as this is obviously only a bios problem(as the adapter/k6 cpu combo runs fine on any other motherboard with intel chipset):does anybody know how to change the bios (disassemble,hexedit or whatsoever),so that the board boots with amd cpu too?
Many thanks.
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

That's an "infamous" problem, but very well-known. I am unaware if there has been any kind of solution to it.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

yogenfrutz wrote:Now my question:as this is obviously only a bios problem(as the adapter/k6 cpu combo runs fine on any other motherboard with intel chipset):does anybody know how to change the bios (disassemble,hexedit or whatsoever),so that the board boots with amd cpu too?
Many thanks.
Well, I know some of it, but only in theory, and in the most general terms. You need to disassemble the BIOS to find the code which identifies the CPU. You need to patch it so that it will identify AMD CPUs as well. You need to patch the code which sets up the CPU features to set up those things which are different for AMD CPUs. You may need to patch the power-on self test as it may try instructions which don't exist on the AMD CPU. You need to patch the code which displays the CPU type and speed. Note: patching isn't that simple if you have to start displacing code and altering the jump addresses.

If you are really determined to do this I would start by getting hold of the datasheets for the two CPU types and the chipset. That way you'll have a chance of understanding the differences. Take a look at Jan Steunebrink's unofficial K62+/II+ homepage for an idea of how non-trivial sorting out support even for a variant of the same CPU is.

To be honest, I would not bother.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

True. I agree it's too much of a hassle.

Others have resorted to trying other "compatible" AWARD or AMI BIOSes for other almost identical boards, but this is only advisable if you have access to an EEPROM programmer, so you can try several BIOSes without risking your very own.