Insyde MobilePRO ACPI not XP compatible either?

APM/ACPI BIOS questions
Exception
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hey guys!

I tried running Bios Agent, but it crashed my compu. very interesting. Anyway, I have a custom built laptop with a SystemSoft bios, and it's got the latest bios as far as I know (v. 1.08), but the bios IS pretty old.

The ACPI bios is by Insyde, and it's a Insyde MobilePRO bios version 1.2. I guess it's never been updated.
Do you think I can update the ACPI bios separately for my main bios? The system suggests this, as the acpi bios is loaded only after everything else. Or is this nonsense?

The trick is, that my notebook builder is probably not too keen on being up to date with biosses as they were bought out last year. So how do I go about looking for an updated bios?

Oh, I forgot, but I got the same problem with windows XP as the other two XP problems in this group. You know, illegal adress writes and reads and in addition a nice "ACPI BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal PCI Operation Region (0x20)".

Can anyone help?
Exception

Very interesting... that mr sunglassesface is actually an EIGHT. So it's version 1.0EIGHT.
I don't know how to give you guys more info on my system. I know it's 440BX based motherboard. I can give you the bios, if that helps, and possibly check for anything else...
I'd really like to keep XP running...
soupy
Absentee administrator

You generally can't update components of a BIOS separately; for one, where would you get the component you need, and second, how would you integrate it into your existing BIOS?

Your best bet is to reinstall XP using APM, not ACPI. It's a pain in the ass, I know. I had to hack my txtsetup.sif to force an ACPI install on my P2B-F mobo, which ran perfectly under 2K.
Flash your BIOS at your own risk.
a_user
Good ol' Boy

Don't try to run Bios ACPI and Winblows APM together. It will be obvious that they don't get along. I usually have better luck turning ACPI off and using APM if at all.
Exception

This might sound stupid, but how do I reinstall XP with APM instead of ACPI, and what's the difference, and uh.. right

So if I turn off power management in my bios I turn off ACPI? And that would solve my problems?
Then windows would take over and do everything by itself.

I just formatted my entire laptop and put back win2k which works like a chrma, but XP is faster, so I'd like to....

Please email me if you know how to do either of the above solutions and which one is best...

thanks!
a_user
Good ol' Boy

Assuming that you have turn off ACPI, click setting, control panel, power options. Now configure APM for your laptop, save and reboot.

As always.... do not run ACPI and APM together.
Exception

Hmm... That's rather simplistic. I knew that, but it's not really what I asked, sorry.
I asked how to reinstall XP with APM and no ACPI. And whether ACPI is turned off by turning off power management in the bios.
I have one of those crappy crippled notebook biosses with only 2 options in each menu.
soupy
Absentee administrator

See the sticky topic in this forum to learn how to edit your TXTSETUP.SIF.

You can also force an APM install by hitting F5 during the install:
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBJ/tip4600/rh4632.htm

IIRC, you select Standard PC.
Flash your BIOS at your own risk.