Can't see display on IBM TP 600E WinXP

Video, SCSI, modem, CDROM/CDR/CDRW, etc.
RockinShaman
New visitors - please read the rules.

I am trying to get Windows XP to show up on my thinkpad. I have updated the LATEST BIOS. I wasn't too sure that it was a BIOS issue, but it seemed logical at the time.

When it boots up with the IBM screen, everything is fine and visible -- the whole screen. Just when you boot into WIndows XP it gets so faint, that I cannot even see windows coming up. I use an alternate monitor could see the installation etc. It is a new installation of XP and this thinkpad hasn't ever had XP on it previously. I updated the video drivers in XP with the ones recommended for this laptop. ibmtplcd.inf and used the ibmtpflx and ibmtplcd for the color management.

I have tried the Fn + HOME key combination and need alternate tips.

Right now I am tempted to put Linux or something else on it, but am now so intrigued to figure out what might be happening. I want to use it as a wireless station and already validated (with the separate monitor) that it works. The point of a laptop is not to have to have to take additional monitors around with you -- ha ha.

It is starting to not be too funny as this system doesn't have a CD-ROM , so I have had to get creative to get the XP install files on there then run them after having to make boot disks. This simple upgrade is starting to grade on me.
:?

Any assistance would be awesome.
jimjones
BIOS Rookie

just a guess : have u tried disabling power saving?
or use the standard display?

anyways, i don't really think this is a bios issue - maybe try ibm support
8)
if all else fails, try brute force :)
RockinShaman

>just a guess : have u tried disabling power saving?
Thanks for the advise....
How is this done? I didn't really see thiws in the Bios settings.
>or use the standard display?
Same here .. how do you set this?

>anyways, i don't really think this is a bios issue - maybe try ibm support.
I don't have a support contract, nor do I want to put too much more $ into the craptop.

-- I'm hoping that this doesn't mean that you want me to hit it with a hammer or something....? I feel like and this may happen if I don't get this solved soon..... 8O
jimjones
BIOS Rookie

I was actually referring to win xp settings (display going dim on a laptop is a power saving feature) tho if you should have power saving settings in bios, it would be best to disable these too.

(i do not know if your bios has such settings since i don't own such a laptop)

Same for standard display - windows xp setting.

Is the correct monitor selected in your display settings?
Make sure that the correct monitor appears in Display properties. If the wrong monitor is selected, Windows might not use the full capabilities of your monitor, and you might be restricted in your choice of screen resolutions.

To check your monitor selection

Open Display Properties in Control Panel.
Click the Settings tab, click Advanced, and then click the Monitor tab.
The monitor that is selected for your computer is displayed under Monitor Type.

If correct monitor isn't listed, click Properties.
Click the Driver tab, and then click Update driver.
After the Hardware Update Wizard starts, click Install from a list or specific location, and then click Next.
Click Don't search. I will choose the driver to install, and then click Next. This provides a list of monitor manufacturers and models.
In Manufacturers, click the manufacturer of your monitor, and then in Models, click the model name.

If your monitor isn't listed, click (Standard monitor type) in Manufacturers, and then choose the most compatible setting for your monitor in Models.
Click Next, and then click Next again.
Note

To open Display Properties, click Start, click Control Panel, click Appearance and Themes, and then click Display.

Still doesn't seem like a bios issue to me, tho ibm advises to have the latest (which you have) but then they say that for every problem you might have.

Some (maybe) usefull links :

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... selected=5

http://www.computing.net/hardware/wwwbo ... 29776.html

By the way - trying linux is always nice - if it doesn't help it still is fun trying to get a laptop to work with it. :lol:

Hope this helps!
if all else fails, try brute force :)
T0SH

XP should run fine on a 600E with at least 128 megs ram ,

in windows fn+F7 toggles between internal external & both displays

Cheers HC