Video, SCSI, modem, CDROM/CDR/CDRW, etc.

#52109 by hypermog
Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:06 pm
Recommended by Wim's BIOS... BIOS Agent scan: Upgrade your BIOS! DriverMax is the number one driver updater for Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Vista or XP

#52109 by hypermog
Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:06 pm
Update for posterity.

The BIOS at this link does seem to be the correct file. I just installed it successfully.

The computer I was fixing had its BIOS corrupted so that it would only boot to the Boot Block recovery screen. The grueling part is, it took a half hour of sitting on a totally black screen (no video signal) before any text would appear. After that amount of time, it would scan the PATA optical drives (there are two) for bootable discs.

Long story short, the DOS based OSs I tried would not map my optical drives to drive letters, or would not DIR without reporting an error until I disconnected the master and connected only the slave. Bizzarre, I know. But, eventually, using this file and these instructions I was able to get a bootable DOS-based disc that had awdflash.exe 8.83 (from here) and 314.BIN (linked above) on the R: drive. From there, I used the command "awdflash 314.BIN /sn /cc /cd /wb" and it flashed correctly. Back from the brink of death.