IBM Thinkpad 600E bios mod for processor update

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
Ripa Rapa
New visitors - please read the rules.

supersoul wrote:
Calvin & Hobbes wrote:
finally i bought this CPU

http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... IBSA:IT:11

i hope it will work, did it?
that is Micro-PGA2 as the seller told on the link. It is not compatible with 600E but some laptops?
Thinkpadder
supersoul

Calvin & Hobbes wrote: It is actually the whole module you replace. you have the connector on the other side of the assy. If your module was correct you only have to open the 600, unscrew the fan and module, snap it off the mobo and replace it with the new module, add some Artic silver and back with everything and you´e done.
DAMN!
supersoul

hi,
it it better to replace the 600 fan-module thermal pad?
will the 3M pad work good?

ss
beatoem
Chip off the ol' block

tp600x runs perfect with all the vista glass eye candy,vista glass sidebar with animated graphics min screen and 3d clock on hybrid
winxps3/vista os. :wink:

the tp 600x @650 mghz will run vista no sweat,unless theres no provision for driver support for the proven enegrgy efficient superceded p111 spec
pc variants.that being the case microsoft will be responsable for millions of tonnes of excess +undue pc waste garbage through no fault of these pcs at all.
d saint"
supersoul

at last I finally installed a 500Mhz cpu and a new hd, a 100G 5400.

tryed to install winXP, but when the sistem reboot to finish the installation the sistem tells "disk problem".

i think that the bios din't recognize a 100G hd, is it possible?
is it a problem that i can fix by flashing the ibm latest bios?

i tryed to flash it, but the program tells me to be secure to have a working battery before prooceding.
now, my battery is at his end life, and can supply the power only for a couple of minute... i'm wonderig if i can flash the bios also with the power cord without think to the battery.

ciao
SS
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

If the disk problem comes so late in the operating systeminstallation process it is not likely a bios problem.

Any trouble should be discovered already at disk partitioning with fdisk and format...
andrewz

I have a Thinkpad 600E and have been reading these posts and am ready to up grade my CPU but have a few questions.

Will any MMC2 processor work? I'm looking at a PIII 650 pulled from a Dell.
Intel Part Number: PBA 748708-251 PMM65002001AA
DP/N 7253R

Does anyone know a good source for compatiblity info.?

Andrewz
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

650 MHz MMC2 should be ok.
sjs7

hey all...
great thread....its nice to be able to take an old laptop and give it a second life....it really gets me when i think about how many laptops make their way to landfills to pollute the world when they could be helping someone....

anyway....

i'm trying to compile the dsleep for 2.6 kernel x686 ubuntu dapper...without any successs.

i get something like:

Entering <my src header directory>, which ive pointed to the right place, then
** No rule to make targe 'for'. Stop.
Error 2.

i was able to compile and run the cpufreq app fine...

how do i know if the L2 cache is truly off since i hexedited the bios? i think everything feels slower.
but

cat proc/cputinfo says
cache size 32KM
cpuid level 2

and i kinda remember seeing somewhere than linux always misreports it so how do i get the true status of my L2 cache in linux?

thanks in advance
sjs7
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

L2 cache is fore sure off immediately after booting, since 600E does not know how to enable L2 for P3. Hex editing the CMOS data just eliminates the annoying 127 error message.
sjs7

thx...actually i'm still got the PII/400Mhz in there....
i wanted to make sure i could get the L2 cache app compiled before buying the PIII chip but so far no luck....

im by no means an expert at compiling, usually theres a ./configure file that i'm able to run and in this case i just tweaked the sourcedir in the make file, but no joy......
andrewz

Sharedoc,
Thanks for the reply! I've read through these posts since I got my 600E and have been looking to upgrade. Pretty impressive work you've done.

I found this site http://kihwal.fayoly.net/600e/, which by the way gives you credit and put most of this information in a pretty concise package.

A couple of question to help me clarify things before I do any real damage.

When discussing the bios edits:

To get rid of error 127, change the value at byte 0x20 to 0A.
To disable the internal RAM, change the value at byte 2B to 81.

When I get into my bios the first screen is labeled "Base 128 CMOS"
There are other screens after this, I assume I'm editing this first screen?

In all the screens there is a grid. The X axis is 0,1,2...F and the Y axis is 00,10,20,....70

When editing 0x20, you change the 02 in the area under the 0 and to the right of 20 to 0A. That seems to make sense.

Changing the "2B to 81" is a little confusing, there is a 2B in the Ex70 position. There is also 02 in the Bx00 position? or I just over thinking this.

As you can probably tell by now I don't have much experience working in a HEX editor, or as I like to say "I know just enough to get in to trouble"
Thanks
andrewz
sjs7

ok, well i've compiled the grub from here

http://kihwal.fayoly.net/600e/grub.html

and installed it and rebooted but i am still not sure the L2 cache has been re-enabled.

things still seem pretty slow, i dont know how to know for sure if its on.

i've been trying hard to compile wmarcusm's kernel module from here:

http://home.pacbell.net/wmarcusm/deepsleep/

version 1.4 for linux 2.6 kernel...

but i haven't gotten it yet...

i've tried changing back and forth from the linux source dirs and the kernel soruce dirs

/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.15-25
and
/usr/include/linux

and still i get

make all
make -C /usr/include/linux M=/home/me/dsleep modules
make[1]: Entering directory 'usr/include/linux'
make[1]: *** No rule to make targer 'for'. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory 'usr/include/linux'
make: *** [all] Error 2

i am not running the stock ubuntu 386 kernel...i am running the 686 optimized kernel, does that matter?

i don't know what to try next. any advice please? thanks!
badman

After read most of the posts in this thread about 600E CPU upgrade, I ordered a INTEL PENTIUM III 650MHz MMC-2 CPU PMM65002001AA from eBay to upgrade my 600E (2645-55H).

I put it in according to the hardware maintenance manual and everything seems go smooth.

When I turn on my 600E with new CPU plugged, fan spins, but screen doesn't come on ...... keyboard doesn't work and no sound!! 8O 8O

I plugged and unplugged the new CPU several times, but it still doesn't work.

After that, I put my old PII 300 in, then my 600E works as normal again..... Sad

Does it mean the new PIII 650 is bad? or it simply doesn't work with my 600E? How to troubleshoot?

My 600E config. is :-
MODEL : 2645-55H
BIOS : 09/11/99 IHET 47WW
MEMORY : 2 x 256MB

Please help!!!
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Propably the processor is faulty. Best is to return/change it.