Questions that don't belong in the other forums.
#36380 by dmb
Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:52 pm
Hello, I have kind of a big problem. The stupid person I am, I replaced my normal gateway bios with the plain vanilla intel bios from the intel site. The best description I can give is a from another forum, where a bunch of other users have the same problem as me, and this is the same exact hardware:
The Intel Motherboard in my Gateway 3250S came with this BIOS:

EV91510A.15A.0123

I made the mistake of "upgrading" to the latest plain-vanilla Intel BIOS:

EV91510A.86A.0470

As a result I've lost use of the onboard Firewire in OSX.

Gateway ftp site does have a new BIOS for this motherboard:

AG91510J.15A.0816

I have tried installing the new BIOS from within WinXP, and using iFlash from a boot floppy. In both cases the flash aborts when it identifies that I am trying to overwrite an "EV" BIOS with an "AG". I even tried removing the BIOS jumper and the "recovery" mode from a floppy and still get no flash.

I'm pretty sure that iFlash can "force" a flash, which is probably what I need to do, but I have not found an understandable description of the iFlash syntax on the Intel site or elsewhere on the web.

QUESTIONS:

1) Anyone out there have a copy of, or a link to, the old EV91510A.15A.0123 Gateway BIOS ?

2) Anyone out there able to instruct me on how to force a flash of the AG91510J.15A.0816 BIOS ?

Thanks!

Question is, how do I get the normal gateway bios: ftp://ftp.gateway.com/pub/hardware_supp ... AG915G.exe back on the system? I tried uniflash, but appearently, they don't give me a .bin dump. PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME. My problem is actually for a critical task. With this plain vanilla bios from intel, VGA can't be autodetected by the bios(in linux), FANS are all messed up and don't work correctly and hibernation doesn't work correctly. PLEASE PLEASE! I will also refer the other people having this same problem to this forum. THANKS A LOT!!