IBM Thinkpad 600E bios mod for processor update

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

SpeedStep kicks in around the time that the Powerleap cache enabler hits the road.

I think it is the IBM power management. I have detected that 600 has some kind of microcontroller in lower side of mainboard that is in charge of reading the CPU temperature sensor, controlling the CPU cooler and CPU throttling. There is a SMBUS for this purpose.
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Looks like stability problems with the Vcore-boost mod... Not good. Had to strip down the mod circuit because 24 hour stability test (Prime95) did not pass through as expected.
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Propably Vcore-boost mod caused instability by carrying Vio (3.3V) ripple to Vcore. So can't use it.

Have to think something else. Maybe the temperature diode on PIII can be cheated to give a higher value and thus activate throttling? Have to look at the PIII specs and find the pins for the diode.
alintolea1
BIOS Newbie

swsnyder wrote:
swsnyder wrote: I infer from previous comments that it is possible to get past this error with a few keystrokes. I'm willing to put up with this inconvenience while determining the real fix.

So... how does one get past this error?

Thanks.
Never mind. Found it.
Hey swssnyder, I have the same problem here, one of the two thinkpads 600e i'm trying to upgrade is an "old" model, a 55U, with 46H bios.
Did you manage to find the corect bit in the bios that needs to be changed?

Also, I couldn't get to the hex bios editor to pop up after I did the upgrade.
I think I will have to put the old processor back, make the mods and then replace it.

Did you manage to do the bios mods after you replaced the processor?
Thanks!

Alin
Holgi128
New visitors - please read the rules.

Why does noone speak about the Powerleap Cache Utility ?

http://www.powerleap.com/downloads/util ... tility.zip

Did anyone tried this ???

Greetings
Holgi
alintolea1
BIOS Newbie

Sharedoc wrote:Propably Vcore-boost mod caused instability by carrying Vio (3.3V) ripple to Vcore. So can't use it.

Have to think something else. Maybe the temperature diode on PIII can be cheated to give a higher value and thus activate throttling? Have to look at the PIII specs and find the pins for the diode.
Just my two cents here. I succesfully upgraded a TP 600E PII366 to a PIII600 with speedstep.
No speedstep mod, no 108mhz mod. Just plain processor swap, AFTER I disabled the L2 cache in bios.
However, I have the SAME problem. Cold boots, either with battery or power supply, are a problem. I have to boot the machine several times. Once it starts and the processor is warm (I mean, really temperature wise I think), I can shut it down and then restart it (power button way) with no problems, it just boots. With battery or AC power.

The whole thing is kind of inconvenient, so I'm thinking about downgrading to PIII 500, if speedstep is REALLY the problem here.
Any thoughts on that would be appreciated.

Alin
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Alintolea1,

Does you 600E boot correctly always if you
(a) use 100MHz FSB
(b) disable the built-in 32M memory
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Holgi128,

Haven't used it. You are welcome to report experiences.
alintolea1
BIOS Newbie

Sharedoc wrote:Alintolea1,

Does you 600E boot correctly always if you
(a) use 100MHz FSB
(b) disable the built-in 32M memory

b) 32M memory already disabled, I did that at the beginning, before upgrading the processor. So not an issue.

a) I read the 66/100 FSB posts but at the time they only seem to apply to the problem of overclocking PIIs. I assumed once I put the PIII inside, it will just select 100 FSB by itself.

Doesn't it?

Do I have to make the 100 FSb mod anyway in order to force it to go in 100 FSB?
If yes, could you help me with some diagrams?
Also, I read I have to solder a certain output to GND using a 10kohm resistor. It's not clear to me how I do that, since the conectors are so small and they latch in the MB conector anyway. Do I solder the resistor on the other side?

Alin
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Alintolea1,

Sorry I misread your first posting. I read as if you are running 108Mhz FSB.

PIII-modules select 100MHz FSB automatically.
What kind of memory you have?
alintolea1
BIOS Newbie

256 mb PC100, 16 chips. one is pc100 cl2, the other pc133/100 cl3...

but it doesn't seem to even care about memory. if the computer is cold, i turn it on, I can the fan turning on but ti just stays there, blank screen.
what i do is leave it like that for 30 seconds or so, than reboot. it works the second time (or maybe the third). than it works like a charm, I can reboot, turn it off and restart, no problem.

but funny you should mention the memory. it might be a different problem related to that.
after boot, during operation or suring boot, just after memory check, the computer freezes.
i have to take pout the battery in order to shut it down, it doesn't respond to the power buton. I'm going to take out the pc133/100 module, maybe that's th problem, even though it's low density (16 chips) and it's supposed to be pc100 too...

Alin
alintolea1
BIOS Newbie

alintolea1 wrote:

but it doesn't seem to even care about memory. if the computer is cold, i turn it on, I can the fan turning on but ti just stays there, blank screen.
what i do is leave it like that for 30 seconds or so, than reboot. it works the second time (or maybe the third). than it works like a charm, I can reboot, turn it off and restart, no problem.

but funny you should mention the memory. it might be a different problem related to that.
after boot, during operation or suring boot, just after memory check, the computer freezes.
i have to take pout the battery in order to shut it down, it doesn't respond to the power buton. I'm going to take out the pc133/100 module, maybe that's th problem, even though it's low density (16 chips) and it's supposed to be pc100 too...

Alin

darn, i made so many typos. so:

but it doesn't seem to even care about memory. if the computer is cold, i turn it on, I can hearthe fan turning on but it just stays there, blank screen.

after memory check, during regular operation or just before grub loads(yes, running linux), the computer freezes.
i have to take out the battery in order to shut it down, it doesn't respond to the power buton. I'm going to take out the pc133/100 module, maybe that's the problem, even though it's low density (16 chips) and it's supposed to be pc100 too...
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Try with the PC100 memory only
alintolea1
BIOS Newbie

Sharedoc wrote:Try with the PC100 memory only
I took out the PC100/133 sodimm and left only one 256mb pc100 chip.

8O. No change. I still had to restart it 3 times before I could get to to check the memory and POST.

I'm am going to get a PIII500 soon and try that one instead. So we can eliminate the speedstep ad the possible culprit.

Alin
Katch
BIOS Rookie

Holgi128 wrote:Why does noone speak about the Powerleap Cache Utility ?

http://www.powerleap.com/downloads/util ... tility.zip

Did anyone tried this ???

Greetings
Holgi

BSODS tried it a while ago.
Thinkpad T20 - 900 MHz (Looking for 1 GHz) 512 Mb - 40Gb 5200rpm - Mini PCI wireless Mod installed behind LCD - (Looking for Slim DVDRW)