IBM Thinkpad 600E bios mod for processor update

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
minix01
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello,

Sharedoc wrote:

> Remove the MMC2-processor module. Take a careful look at the back
> side. Locate Integrted circuit U63. It is the SpeedStep controller circuit
> with text "JAPAN 724661 02415" (text upside down) on it. It is to the
> north from condenser C124. Follow the signal line from 4th pin from the
> low-right. This signal line goes towards text Y60 to the south. Cut this
> signal line with a knife just above the end-point where there is a
> pass-through to the upper side of the board. (I don't know the exact
> terms, sorry. Anyway, pass-trough means that there is a drilled hole
> which is copper-filled, so that the signal can go through the printed
> circuit board to the upper side).

> On the top level of the board this pass through meets a resistor, south
> from text C9. Solder to the west end of this resistor a 2.2kohm resistor,
> and solder the other end of the resistor to north end of condenser C13.
> C13 is to west-north from text C9.

I bought mmc-2 750 CPU for my 770x tp. I want to change it for speedstep mod. But it's different from the CPU described in Sharedoc's document.

There is no "JAPAN" text in 724661 chip and it is not ended with "02415" and far from C124.
I can't find Y60 and the pass-through hole doesn't meet C9 resistor.

Is there any other reference document for my case ?
Please let me know how to change the circuit.

Thanks in advance.
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

750MHz's printed circuit board is a bit different but the same principle works. I did the mod a few weeks ago. Have to open the box to give precise how-to. Come back soon.
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Bottom side:
SpeedStep controller IC is "JAPAN 724661 00408" (text upside down, when MMC2-connector is to the left).
Follow downwards folio from pin 4 from lower-right corner. Cut folio before first dot in the folio, about 4 mm from the pin.

Top side: solder 2.2kohm resistor between left-end of resistor R1 and right-end of capacitor C2.
minix01

Hello

Sharedoc, Thank you for your reply.

I made a picture by your advice.

Do I understand your advice correctly?

Please give me more comment.

Thanks in advane again.

Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Perfect.
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Alin,

Is your 600E running still 66MHz FSB with PIII-500?
Or did it start to run 100MHz FSB with the PIII-500 processor from the 600X?
alintolea1
BIOS Newbie

Sharedoc wrote:Alin,

Is your 600E running still 66MHz FSB with PIII-500?
Or did it start to run 100MHz FSB with the PIII-500 processor from the 600X?
Never did run @66mhz, it was just a guess. And I could never succesfulyy bring back the PIII 500 back to life, either in the 600x or in the 600e.

What I have right now is:
600x running the old pIII 600 processor (the one I had in the 600e after the first upgrade)
600e running a SECOND PIII 600 processor (got it from ebay).

the 600e PIII 600 runs at 500 mhz (ok, 488 or someting like that, I posted the /proc/cpuinfo earlier). This is NOT 6x66 mhz, I think it runs at 100 mhz, but since I had not enabled speedstep - the PIII 600 has it) - I can expect a lower speed ( I'm right here, am I not?)

the 600x happlily runs at 600 mhz, bot that's a native PIII machine, no suprises here.

I also have an "old" 600e ( H bios), I have to fix, but I don't intend to do any upgrade there.

I'm super happy I could succesfully put back a processor in the 600x and the first 600e. And this time, put them in right, since I have instant boots in the 600e, the one in five boot problems I had before had dissapearead.

Alin
mandbaudio

I have a 600e on it's last dying leg. The battery is not holding a charge, the system planar is not delivering a charge to the battery, and am in dire straights. I am not sure if I should just flat out buy a new laptop, or try to upgrade my existing one. I happened upon your forum by searching for a new planar and battery, and have new hope that I could upgrade my machine and use it for some time to come. I understand that most of you are talking about upgrading the unit to a PIII and was wondering if there might be some good sites dedicated to the 600e that I might be missing. I have read through this thread in it's entirety and need a little more help to get started. I appreciate any help that might be granted. Basically, if you all had a stock 600e on it's dying legs, what would you start with? Thanks.

-Mike
Smeghead
BIOS Newbie

I bought my 600e used about 3 years ago and it has done me good service since then. Battery did start to go gimpy about a year ago. Got a new battery off ebay for only $50. I recently upgraded its ram to 352MB and wish I had done it a while ago. System response improved tremendously. I am going to punch it up to a PIII as soon as I eye up a good deal on one.
alintolea1
BIOS Newbie

[quote="mandbaudio"granted. Basically, if you all had a stock 600e on it's dying legs, what would you start with? Thanks.

-Mike[/quote]

Don't know how much a new planar would cost you (BTW, are you sure it's the planar, these 600e batteries are truly, truly a pain in the but, they go bad really fast).

However, you can pick up a PIII 600 MMC2 of ebay for about 40$ (including shipping). Or a PIII 500 mhz for 25-30$ .
I have succesfully upgraded my 600e to a PIII 600 (well, it runs at 500 mhz, so get a 500 mhz instead in case you're not interested to do the speedspre mod). It was a pain in the but, but if your laptop is dying, what a heck, give it a try!
One word of advise though. Make all the BIOS mods - disable L2 cache and onboard memory- before you upgrade the processor, it just makes your life easier).

So to make a long story short. If I got dying 600e, I'd upgrade it.

Ah, I forgot to tell you. I think it might be a good ideea to do the OS install before you do the mod..

Alin
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

I'd upgrade 600E for sure. It is a good robust design with style.

If you buy a cheapo laptop, you get a plastic rattling smelling thing you start hating pretty soon.
Raceboy

I did not disable onboard RAM and it runs perfectly @100MHz bus @CL2, my other modules are too PC66 and they run @100MHz 100% stable.
mandbaudio

Thanks guys for your quick input.

alintolea1: I really think it might be the planar, because since I have had the unit (given free when the first battery went dead), and replaced the original battery, when I plug the transformer into the wall, the computer never recognizes that I am not still on battery power. I just figured that the charging stage of the system board was messed up. There is a new system board on e-Bay right now for around $50, but what prompted my original question was weather I could fit some newer system board into the old chassis, but I am fine with upgrading to a PIII, seeing as a PII is enough power for the current needs of THIS laptop.

Maybe I should figure out my power situation first... I have read about how bad these batteries are, just perplexed why windows never recognizes being plugged into the wall. Any thoughts?
alintolea1
BIOS Newbie

mandbaudio wrote: alintolea1: I really think it might be the planar, because since I have had the unit (given free when the first battery went dead), and replaced the original battery, when I plug the transformer into the wall, the computer never recognizes that I am not still on battery power. I just figured that the charging stage of the system board was messed up. ...
Maybe I should figure out my power situation first... I have read about how bad these batteries are, just perplexed why windows never recognizes being plugged into the wall. Any thoughts?
No ideea why windows would do that. Is your old battery still detected? I know it's dead, but is it still detected as being there by the power utility in windows?
Is the new one detected if you boot on AC power? Does it charge? Can you work on battery? Also, does the system actually work on battery when you plug in the AC cord? Or it's just that it's only reported as working on batery but it actually works on AC power.

Now, if a system board is $50+ ship and the processor is $40 (including shipping), I'd rather buy a 600x 500 mhz. Buy it without hard, etc. I got a very nice 600x for 112$+ 12$ shipping, ebay of course. And it even had a hard drive and everything! Just no OS.
I bet you can get a similar one under $140 shipped.

But if you like tinkering :D....

Alin
mandbaudio

I can't boot from AC power at all, and that's why I figured the board was messed up. I have had to have a battery in place in order to use the AC power, but again windows does not recognize the AC power, but instead continues to say that I am on battery power. When the battery was new four or five months ago, it used to charge the battery, and I could run off battery power just fine, watch the battery discharge, then plug it in to AC (not being recognized by windows of course) and magically the power level in the battery would go up, and would be indicated by the battery icon in the taskar. Oh well, I think I'll go hunting for a 600x. Thanks.