IBM Thinkpad 600E bios mod for processor update

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
rosmondy
New visitors - please read the rules.

I recently upgraded my ThinkPad 770 (PI 233Mhz) to PII 300 Mhz. It is worksing fine but the annoying POST Error 192 that requires twice F1 and Esc restart until the machine finally boots. Detailed Examination revealed that everything is working correctly - even the 512KB L2 chace. I read the material in this section and used the knowledge on the ThinKpad bios to upgrade my ThinkPad 600E (PII 300Hhz) to PIII 450Mhz. I was wondering does anyone in the forum had knowledge of the ThinkPad 770 bios and can assist in cancelling POST Error 192?
nefarious

First off.. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! (That was mainly from my wife since she is the one that is enjoying the results of my reading this topic.) I managed to get her off of the 8 pound Compaq Armada that she was using and on to the 600E that has been sitting in the closet for three years. I upgraded the CPU from a PII-366 to a PIII-650, upgraded the RAM to 288MB and replaced the optical drive with a Lite-On CDRW/DVD combo drive. All is working beautifully and for under $100 she has a perfectly suitable laptop that weighs close to half of what she had been using.

Here's the question.. the PIII-650 is running at 500 thanks to the lack of SpeedStep support. In the early stages of this thread it appeared that there was a solder/resistor solution, but that it only worked sometime/required multiple boot attempts. I have read the whole thread, but it has become mind-numbingly large. Is there a clean solution to the SpeedStep issue that works?

Finally, I have not installed the L2 cache enabling software for XP. Will it make a noticeable difference?

Thanks,
-nef
Carlowdelete

Nef, I installed the L2 "trigger" and XP and it works fine even with 192MB of RAM. I did not try XP without it so I can't tell you if there is a difference. I would suggest that you go ahead and install it because it doesn't hurt anything.

Which CD/DVD drive model did you get? I am looking for something to replace the 2x DVD drive I have because it does not play DVDs I burn.

TIA

nefarious wrote:First off.. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! (That was mainly from my wife since she is the one that is enjoying the results of my reading this topic.) I managed to get her off of the 8 pound Compaq Armada that she was using and on to the 600E that has been sitting in the closet for three years. I upgraded the CPU from a PII-366 to a PIII-650, upgraded the RAM to 288MB and replaced the optical drive with a Lite-On CDRW/DVD combo drive. All is working beautifully and for under $100 she has a perfectly suitable laptop that weighs close to half of what she had been using.

Here's the question.. the PIII-650 is running at 500 thanks to the lack of SpeedStep support. In the early stages of this thread it appeared that there was a solder/resistor solution, but that it only worked sometime/required multiple boot attempts. I have read the whole thread, but it has become mind-numbingly large. Is there a clean solution to the SpeedStep issue that works?

Finally, I have not installed the L2 cache enabling software for XP. Will it make a noticeable difference?

Thanks,
-nef
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

192 error: propably processor cooling fan error - maybe blower is worn-out?

Nylon coated screws: No need to replace screws when refitting. I have opened my 600E box at least 30 times with the same screws.
Carlowdelete

Can someone help me choose a DVD player that I can use that actually plays my burned DVDs? This is one of the main reason I wanted a laptop. Please help me out here ole knowledable ones :-)
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

DVD: problem can be also on the burner side...

Anyway, I am using Toshiba DVD SD-C2102 IBM FRU 05K9106
which works ok also with disc burner I have in office.
nefarious

Carlowdelete wrote:Can someone help me choose a DVD player that I can use that actually plays my burned DVDs? This is one of the main reason I wanted a laptop. Please help me out here ole knowledable ones :-)
Sorry, I didn't get email notice of topic update :-/

I got the Liteon SOSC-2483K from Zip Zoom Fly (used to be googlegear) for $67 with free 2 day shipping.

I will try the cache enabler this evening :-)

Also, I would still like to see if anyone can give me a straight answer on disabling/bypassing the SpeedStep so I can get 650 instead of 500 out of this CPU.

Thanks!

-nef
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Nefarious,
You need to do the SpeedStep hardware hack to the processor module. There are fotographs how to do the mod.

Then you need to install DeepSleep utility in your Windows to switch the hoigher speed on. It works every time, so no need to boot several times.
minix01

Hello,

To wmarcusm.

Thank you for your excellent deepsleep program. It makes my 770x very fast.

But my 770x is unstable in 850Mhz mode and suddenly reboots in heavy load.

So i want to get slow mode deepsleep version.

May i ask you a favor?

Please make deepsleep act in slow mode too.

"slow mode deepsleep" do something to the CPU, it have to make the CPU in low state of speedstep.
I can make the CPU in low state without deepsleep but I cannot make the CPU in solid state without deepsleep and still I need it for calling the cache enabler.

Thank you in advance.
MarkieTheGadgetGuy

I know this is MOSTLY a bios thread, but there is so much good stuff in here about processor upgrades that I hope you don't mind me posting my question here.

Basically I was wondering how hard it would be to upgrade my TP 390x MMC-2 PIII 450mhz to the 850mhz ... and has anyone here done this upgrade ?

It seems to me that it should be easier than the PII upgrade since the processor class is the same.

Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated ... also if anyone happens to know a good place to get the 850mhz cpu from, I'd appreciate that too.

Thanks in advance,

MarkieTheGadgetGuy
8)
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Not familiar with TP390x. Assuming it is somewhat similar than TP600E, then installing 850MHz PIII should be easy job, just open the box and open the processor retaining screws, replace the processor, and vice versa.

Propably the processor would run at lower speed 700MHz, but with a hardware mod and DeepSleep utility you would get full 850MHz.

There is no easy access to 850MHz parts. They appear sometimes at eBay, but price can be so high that it does not make sense. 750MHz parts are plenty in eBay at reasonable cost.

Hope this helps.
beatoem
Chip off the ol' block

[quote="MarkieTheGadgetGuy"]I know this is MOSTLY a bios thread, but there is so much good stuff in here about processor upgrades that I hope you don't mind me posting my question here.

Basically I was wondering how hard it would be to upgrade my TP 390x MMC-2 PIII 450mhz to the 850mhz ... and has anyone here done this upgrade ?

It seems to me that it should be easier than the PII upgrade since the processor class is the same.

Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated ... also if anyone happens to know a good place to get the 850mhz cpu from, I'd appreciate that too.

Thanks in advance,

i'm running a p111650 (modded)on my 390x and it runs beaut full cache but defaults to 500 then by using deepsleep program it runs the full quid(650)with sharedocs cpu mod as per tp600 instructions earlier in this thread.

*sharedoc?do you need tp 600e cutout bios chip?
Calvin & Hobbes

I could not keep my hands off my TP600X when reading this thread.

Replaced my originally pIII450 with a pIII750 bougt on ebay. Did the ss mod described earlier in this thread by Sharedoc but could't do the fsb mod thus my mobo was totally different from pics.

It runs @ 750, but I have to plug in and out the AC plug 15-20 times during the boot, this means that I must have AC+cable available to power on the TP. I manage this by chosing Deep sleep instead of power off, this requires only one plugin and out during start the hang up after the Thinkpad screen.

The first hang up is after the Thinkpad memory display just a blinking line. And then the it hangs up during loading windows.

Could anyone help me with this?
If you also have the sollution to the fsb mod on 600X i would be greatful!

Thanks!

My Hard & software:
2645BBG (600X) originally equipped with non ss pIII450.
Bios:ITET55WW
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

have you already tried Marcus Miller's SpeedStep utility to switch on the higher speed?
Calvin & Hobbes

Yes, I have installed his Deepsleep without success, but I am not sure how I include this in boot sequence. Should I just place it in the autostart folder?

Just to be clear it runs @747 all the time, nothing to complain there. It is only the power up that couses me trouble.
I also found out that I can push the display switch 15-20 times instead of plug in and out the AC plug.

Had some tought if this was a win issue so I also tried to install XP on another HDD, but it was impossible to complet, it hangs in an early stage.

I have seen you guy's mostly have 600E but I haven't seen a tread like this for 600X, that's why I posted my question here. And I am also very impressed by your work here.

Moi