IBM Thinkpad 600E bios mod for processor update

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

non b?
Poju
New visitors - please read the rules.

Have u folks checked this if there is any help?

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/mo ... 00tech.pdf

It's Technical reference manual (not Hardware manteinance manual)
prizal_a

Sharedoc..
Any other thinkpad that could update the processor...?

i'm confused,which ones should i take..? tp 390 or tp 770...
i'd like to put my 850Mhz MMC-2 Proc in it...

Thanx a lot...
(sorry for my english)
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Prizal_a
Based on the messages by Pkiff earlier in this thread 770z is upgradable with P3-mmc2.
prizal_a

Sharedoc,
thanx...
is that mean that TP 390 not upgradeable to pIII mmc-2 processor...?
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

I don't remember anyone reporting on P3 in 390.
Bigun

Hello,

Great thread

I was wondering if anyone knew for sure if a PIII cpu with a FSB of 133 would work in a 600E, and if so would it run at 133 or 100?
spotslayer

I just found this forum and it looks like I will be visiting often. I have a 600e with the 366mhz processor. I am running linux. I am pretty experienced with hardware but not necessarily with laptops. I would like to upgrade to a little faster processor and have read most of the posts on this thread. Is there a howto that someone could point me to. I would also appreciate info on which processor will work with the least problems. Since this will be my first attempt with a laptop I would sure like it to be a sucess.

Thanks in advance for your input,
David
beatoem
Chip off the ol' block

Sharedoc wrote:non b?

yes ,the 4150(non b model),the laptop generally feels more responsive than the thinkpad 600e p111(cache enabled),to my surprise 8O
though the 600 is more robust and versatile with the dock options.
as you know the hp4150b sereis are pentium 3s but the non bs came with 300,366 and 400 p11 cpus only.
whats wierd is that they cannot detect p2 mmc2 celeron 433,p111celeron 450 + celeron+p111 500s for some wierd reason.
but speedstep 650+750 no problem.
am gonna modify my 765d p166mmx cpu to run 200mghz(as done in monkungs factory)already am running a 24x24x24 cd burner in the 765d laptop,i never seen this ,it helps if one gets the aftermarket sigma internal cd rom and swap the jae 50 pin unit for the burner,it looks very factory +i'm rapt in the 765d inwhich it shames many a desktop,loaded with garbage on 128mb ram say .
*bios chip,least i can do :wink:
Last edited by beatoem on Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
beatoem
Chip off the ol' block

prizal_a wrote:Sharedoc,
thanx...
is that mean that TP 390 not upgradeable to pIII mmc-2 processor...?

:D got a tp390x running 600/750 speedstep cpu (sharedoc mods)no problems +full cache enabled in the bios too,go for it,compared to 400p11 its is a beaut upgrade.this laptop by the way has accepted every single mmc2 cpu i tried too.
Last edited by beatoem on Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
beatoem
Chip off the ol' block

spotslayer wrote:I just found this forum and it looks like I will be visiting often. I have a 600e with the 366mhz processor. I am running linux. I am pretty experienced with hardware but not necessarily with laptops. I would like to upgrade to a little faster processor and have read most of the posts on this thread. Is there a howto that someone could point me to. I would also appreciate info on which processor will work with the least problems. Since this will be my first attempt with a laptop I would sure like it to be a sucess.

Thanks in advance for your input,
David
if you want the best solution without editing bios settings or utilising cache enable software you could get a mmc2 celeron 433 with the fsb mod will run 466mghz on cas 2,2,2 ram timings and it is sinificantly faster than the p2366-400 despite 128kb full speed cache.or you could try the 400 with the fsb mod run @433 with 256kb cache both ways play dvds no sweat.
or just do the fsb mod with existing cpu with resitor as in sharedocs guide for approx 400mghz(72.5fsb).
spotslayer

beatoem

Thank's for the ideas. I guess I'm just an old hacker at heart. I think I may try the celeron suggestion. That sound like a good first attempt.

Any other thought on any other projects. I worked in an IBM house for several years and still have access to older thinkpads. I would like to get my feet wet with some projects I could succeed with.

David :twisted:
der_fette_fuerst

Hey guys

greetings from Germany to everyone of you. You did and still do a great job as far as i read 'till here.

I just got to this site by coincidence cause i'm looking for a processor update for my TP 600E 2645-550 with a PII 300Mhz. I already placed 2 128MB SO-Dimms and a new harddisk in it and found some mmc-2 boards on ebay 3 months ago. Unfortunatley there are no 400Mhz mmc-2 boards availible at the moment, only the 433 mhz celerons which aren't bad at all. What would be the easiest way to upgrade the cpu without starting any freaky action and completely changing the whole mainboard an bios. Soldering shall not be the problem but i don't want to if possible. Could get a PIII 800 and 933 CPU for cheap. that would be really great, but i really think a 450 or 500 Mhz cpu is easier to implement.

I already read a lot of this article, but it's sooooooo long. :)

Has anyone of you made a howto for a certain processor yet and where could i get it??

I read the article at toms hardware about upgrading notebooks in the past but they where limited to the standard mmc-2 and mmc-1 boards which i think aren't worth the work and the money. I mean, upgrading from 300 to perhaps 400 mhz for about 30-40€ isn't bad at all but..... 8)

I would be really thankful if anyone of you could tell me what cpu i should take. I would even create a photostory of the exchange if there's none yet.

I hope you can understand my Denglish 8)

Sebastian
nicoj8

Hi all,
first. Iam German and my English is the badest in the world :(

Read this Thread with joyness.

I already try the 8% Mod. It work with my PII 300@322MHz with 72MHzFSB fromm 66MHz.
Now i order from ebay a PIII 650 with Speedstep Prozessor.(PMM65002201AC)
It work well with the 256k cache utility. But only with the step like the PII (72MHz). It don't switch to 100MHz!?

I removed the 8% MOD i thougt it is because of it . Then it work at 66MHz normaly !??

Then i try the Speedstep Mod at the CPU and the Notebook will no turn on.(Sometimes yes)
HMMM. Now i have no notion.

My config:
BIOS IHET38WW
Win XP
IBM TP 600E 2654-550
1x256MB 16 Chips Samsung
Shared Memory off

Can anyone help me please?
Why the FSB go not to 100MHz??
Thank you
nicoj8
spotslayer

I just thought I would report the results of my initial upgrade. I did the fsb mod(boy do you need good eyes). I also installed a celeron 400 processor. My linux info center reports 486mhz. The pad is noticably quicker. The info center also reports that this is a Pentium (coppermine). The next mod I would like to do is a full blown pentium with L2 cache. I have seen all the options available in this thread, but would like some input on a pretty reliable setup. I use this computer when I travel to check email, surf and watch the occasional movie. I would just like something pretty reliable, but just feel the need for speed. I guess one could get addicted to this stuff.

David

I am wondering what the best bios for TP600e would be. I am currently using 36 for the tp600e. Is there a better one?