IBM Thinkpad 600E bios mod for processor update

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
poge
New visitors - please read the rules.

beatoem wrote: ok here we go, firstly remove the rear jae50 pin ide adapter and solder pin no 47+49 together to trigger alternative polarity detection within the secondary channel of the host bus conteroller,this will have no effect on any drives that are allready compatable so you got nothing to lose but possibly everything to gain by modding the rear adapter.

Ok, I just did the mod, and it did nothing.
beatoem wrote: conversely if it still hangs let us know exactly what drive,firmware revision
(once hotswaped in the multibay only after boot in windows where exactly is the drive detected ? sm or ss,mutiword dma 2 or ultra dma 2?
Still Hangs. Heres what the Hitachi CDRW/DVD drive says:
HL Data Storage
CD-RW DVD DRIVE
MODEL No. GCC-4160N
TYPE FUGO
DRIVE REV. A0
CP154061-01
S/N: B3F005069
JUNE 2003
E-H022-02-0962(B)
Hitachi-LG Data Storage, Inc. QL19751

I dont know exactly what you mean by where is the drive detected, but in location it says "Location 0(0)".

I really appreciate your help. :) Also, you probably already know this, but the 108 error happens much more when the 600e is plugged in, at least for me. It also happens more when the onboard memory is enabled. Mine is enabled, and it always gives the 108 error when plugged in when booting. I am currently making some heatspreaders for the ram.
pincellone

Sluffcard, it would not be that difficult to find out if you read the first three or four pages of this thread like I did.

Anyway, just to be even more clear, you have to look for a PIII MMC-2 version. Intel used to sell them with speeds up to 850Mhz.

further details at their website

processorfinder.intel.com

As I feel good today, I'm also showing you a picture of a MMC-2 CPU, to make the process even more foolproof. Hope this helps. Good luck.

beatoem
Chip off the ol' block

poge wrote:
beatoem wrote: ok here we go, firstly remove the rear jae50 pin ide adapter and solder pin no 47+49 together to trigger alternative polarity detection within the secondary channel of the host bus conteroller,this will have no effect on any drives that are allready compatable so you got nothing to lose but possibly everything to gain by modding the rear adapter.

Ok, I just did the mod, and it did nothing.
beatoem wrote: conversely if it still hangs let us know exactly what drive,firmware revision
(once hotswaped in the multibay only after boot in windows where exactly is the drive detected ? sm or ss,mutiword dma 2 or ultra dma 2?
HL Data Storage
CD-RW DVD DRIVE
MODEL No. GCC-4160N
TYPE FUGO
DRIVE REV. A0
CP154061-01
JUNE 2003
E-H022-02-0962(B)

I dont know exactly what you mean by where is the drive detected, but in location it says "Location 0(0)".

I really appreciate your help. :) Also, you probably already know this, but the 108 error happens much more when the 600e is plugged in, at least for me. It also happens more when the onboard memory is enabled. Mine is enabled, and it always gives the 108 error when plugged in when booting. I am currently making some heatspreaders for the ram.
*your gonna need to change the firmware on the drive thats compatable
to csel as per tp600 sereis requirments instead of that stupid other one that some manufactures deliberatly affix so as to monopolise on their profits.i'll see what i can find,meanwhile youll need to have a decent floppy drive and disc to assure good flashing,108 fsb is no drama(done many dozens of them)
i found that the 108 error was rarely if not ever seen at all with the 750 (810)cpu ,however realising that the max a stock tp600e cooler can do the job is limited to 700mghz speeds,i swaped the cpu to a 650(702)
only to see the 108 error again,now i'm pondering if it was ok with the other cpu ,how come the 650 and 600 i tried prompts 108 error when the 750 didn't?my wiring on the 750 differs to what sharedoc reccomends
maybe somehow i may have accidentaly located the resistor in a place that somehow conflicted with a registar that talks to the ibm bios,
don't ask me how?i'm no genius
maybe sharedoc could assertain my wiring locations as to the possibility
of disabling that registra.
according to the ibm handbook 108= timer bus test failure
obviously to do with the host bus timings
now we can rid of certain errors via hex edit methods
question is can we get to the bottom of this and edit the bios so as to rid
the 108 message once and for all?
*now i'm into more problems with the tp600x,apparently this beauty(650 speedstep)
conflicts with win xp pro when the battery is affixed,despite ibm implying
55 ver bios supports win xp it doesn't,not the 650 with battery affixed anyhow.then i find out inte;l didn't and wont support win xp with these cpus.this is technology B.S at its very best,no wonder the 600e
is superior to the 600x (period).besides no one has been capable to overclock a tp600x either.words of wizdom do not ditch the 600e for the
B.S techno 600x ,youll regret it (no xp with full speed)and slower ram too.
this is technology B.S.no wonder the 600e rules.
d saint"
beatoem
Chip off the ol' block

Ok, I just did the mod, and it did nothing
HL Data Storage
CD-RW DVD DRIVE
MODEL No. GCC-4160N
TYPE FUGO
DRIVE REV. A0
CP154061-01
JUNE 2003
E-H022-02-0962(B)

I really appreciate your help. :) Also, you probably already know this, but the 108 error happens much more when the 600e is plugged in, at least for me. It also happens more when the onboard memory is enabled. Mine is enabled, and it always gives the 108 error when plugged in when booting. I am currently making some heatspreaders for the ram.[/quote]

*your gonna need to change the firmware on the drive thats compatable
to csel as per tp600 sereis requirments instead of that stupid other one that some manufactures deliberatly affix so as to monopolise on their profits.*ive got a beaut ibm rpc resett firmware for this,the source of the firmware are reliable,i am not certain if this will give the desired host bus detection but its worth a shot,the firwmware revision is ibm which is the best firwware for h+l drives as far as sheer speed is concerned . i have the 450kb file with instructions on how to flash in dos,meanwhile you'll need to have a reliable floppy drive and a bootable ms dos disc to assure good flashing,108 fsb is no drama(done many dozens of them)
i found that the 108 error was rarely if not ever seen at all with the 750 (810)cpu ,however realising that the max a stock tp600e cooler can do the job is limited to 700mghz speeds,i swaped the cpu to a 650(702)
only to see the 108 error again,now i'm pondering if it was ok with the other cpu ,how come the 650 and 600 i tried prompts 108 error when the 750 didn't?my wiring on the 750 differs to what sharedoc reccomends
maybe somehow i may have accidentaly located the resistor in a place that somehow conflicted with a registar that talks to the ibm bios,
don't ask me how?i'm no genius
maybe sharedoc could assertain my wiring locations as to the possibility
of disabling that registra.
according to the ibm handbook 108= timer bus test failure
obviously to do with the host bus timings
now we can rid of certain errors via hex edit methods
question is can we get to the bottom of this and edit the bios so as to rid
the 108 message once and for all?
*now i'm into more problems with the tp600x,apparently this beauty(650 speedstep)
conflicts with win xp pro when the battery is affixed,despite ibm implying
55 ver bios supports win xp it doesn't,not the 650 with battery affixed anyhow.then i find out inte;l didn't and wont support win xp with these cpus.this is technology B.S at its very best,no wonder the 600e
is superior to the 600x (period).besides no one has been capable to overclock a tp600x either.words of wizdom do not ditch the 600e for the
B.S techno 600x ,youll regret it (no xp with full speed)and slower ram too.
this is technology B.S.no wonder the 600e rules.[/quote]
d saint"
poge

Thanks dude. I have the floppy drive that came with my 600e, and I've flashed my bios with it before, so it should work for flashing the firmware. Thanks for your help. Also, if you dont like your 600x, I'd be willing to made a trade, 600e for 600x. I'd pay shipping, and you get the p3 500. I just want it because it has the selectadock thingy and I would be able to put a gfx card in it. :) Oh and where can I grab the IBM 600e bios errors manual thing? Thanks.
beatoem
Chip off the ol' block

poge wrote:Thanks dude. I have the floppy drive that came with my 600e, and I've flashed my bios with it before, so it should work for flashing the firmware. Thanks for your help. Also, if you dont like your 600x, I'd be willing to made a trade, 600e for 600x. I'd pay shipping, and you get the p3 500. I just want it because it has the selectadock thingy and I would be able to put a gfx card in it. :) Oh and where can I grab the IBM 600e bios errors manual thing? Thanks.

*i run my tp600e on the select dock with a lvd controller and 15k hdd, tried a voodoo 2 and it detected ok but as soon as i connected to the 600e internal video in xp there was nothing but a white screen.
so whats a gfx card ,did you try on the 600e and no go?
i didn't know you could run another video card on its own in the dock
if you want i can verify if it works cause i got ati all in wonder,3d labs oxygen ,stealth 3d pro turbo pci cards and 765d,600,600e,600x that fits in the dock(excellent unit that dock)conversely i have no dramas with a non speedstep 500 cpu in the 600x,obviously theres some kind of power managment conflict in xp with speedstep cpus,i don't understand why the mess up,i'm running xp pro with the 650 now,but ea time i have to press doubble the power on button at 2 intervals during boot in xp to allow the process to continue,conversely i may have to try full sp2 version
maybe ibm /microsoft resolved this with sp2.
i ditched ibm's tricky/crappy speedstep program and currently running
a program called speed switch xp ,which is superior in every respect
and somehow lessens the crappy registras that somehow send a maliciou code to the bios to render the mainboard as seemingly defective via ibms speedstep software .but i know better now and am not willing nor ever willing to give up because of them schemers who take consumers for general fools with their deceptive codes,in some instances i had to replace the cpu to get it to boot again which interm as soon as i tried the cpu on another machine,sure enough it worked :?
now i understand why ibm implys to use bios 55 which supports xp
except no mention of speedstep issues anywhere ,anytime,any place.
as soon as you verify an email address i can send the firmware to you.
d saint"
poge

pogeman1000/at/gmail/dot/com. Thanks man. :) GFX = graphics card btw. How did you upgrade your graphics card in your 600e? In the 600x there is a dock on the bottom of the mainboard where you can put one, its not on the 600e though. :-\ You'll need a special graphics card for it too.
beatoem
Chip off the ol' block

poge wrote:pogeman1000/at/gmail/dot/com. Thanks man. :) GFX = graphics card btw. How did you upgrade your graphics card in your 600e? In the 600x there is a dock on the bottom of the mainboard where you can put one, its not on the 600e though. :-\ You'll need a special graphics card for it too.
i tried 3 times kept getting daemon errors
i think one got through but not sure.
**at the bottom of the case ?do you mean where the 600x modem lies
you can buy a special video card that fits in the modem slot?
d saint"
poge

It looks kindof like that. Its basically a pci slot that some laptops have, that you can put laptop format pci cards in. Dont get it confused with the ram slots. It does look like them. :) Thinkpad 600x's have one on the bottom. I didnt get the email. :( Its pogeman1000 @ gmail . com. It should work. :-\
beatoem
Chip off the ol' block

:? that email addy is bogus ,tried 6 times all up
look up dangerous brothers in google and grab the files from there.
d saint"
poge

Gave me an error. It said the drive couldnt be found. :(
beatoem
Chip off the ol' block

poge wrote:Gave me an error. It said the drive couldnt be found. :(
syntax error?did you type the location command line?

flashup 0014auto.d]d 3 /c /0

thats for sec slave position
double check that ] abrevation is correct though because in the instructions it looks like an L but upside down

conversely if you only type flashup it should show the help fields and command options.

if you got a jae to ide desktop adapter you should have far better chance there if all fails on the laptop.
d saint"
poge

Did all that. :( Sadly, no luck. It says there is no drive in that location. I've tried all the locations. Oh well. Thanks. Did you find that pci port on the back of your 600x yet? :)
beatoem
Chip off the ol' block

holmch66 wrote:Hello all!

Recently upgraded my trusty old Thinkpad 600X with a 800 MHz MMC-2 module!

BIOS verison 11/30/99 - ITET55WW
Machine-type model: 26458EG
Slave controller version 10/08/99 - IHHT10WW

It runs at 800MHz, but only after unpluggung and replugging the power supply cord during the XP startup. Alternateively I can press Fn+F4 and or Fn+F11 in during the boot up. When the XP is up and running the Speed Step utility allows it to change the frequency, but it also locks up immediately. Pressing Fn+F11 unlocks the system and the CPU speed is then changed. But it freezes each time I toggle the speed.

I also tried the DeepSleep utility for XP (v. 1.3) I found here on the topics, but it does not seem to work with Thinkpad 600X, I guess it's only for 600E. Is it so??

I saw "Calvin & Hobbles" mentioning earlier excatly the same as I have experienced with 600X upgrade.

Has anybody some information how to get an CPU upgraded Thinkpad 600X to boot up the XP straigth away.

Calvin & Hobbles wrote:

"It runs @ 750, but I have to plug in and out the AC plug 15-20 times during the boot, this means that I must have AC+cable available to power on the TP. I manage this by chosing Deep sleep instead of power off, this requires only one plugin and out during start the hang up after the Thinkpad screen.

The first hang up is after the Thinkpad memory display just a blinking line. And then the it hangs up during loading windows.

Could anyone help me with this?
If you also have the sollution to the fsb mod on 600X i would be greatful! "
at this stage one can only boot clean in xp with the battery disconnected
thus only runs lower speeds at that,
conversely theres a program called speedswitch xp ver 1.4 which seems better than the outdated ibm speedstep program ,but that doesn't prevent
the battery lockup error on xp post time,i am surprised how little information there is on the net and especially from ibm web site.
conversely i found that by depressing the power switch 2 times at 2 seperate intervals during xp boot gets me to the desktop battery nall.
h
d saint"
beatoem
Chip off the ol' block

Sharedoc wrote:DVD: problem can be also on the burner side...

Anyway, I am using Toshiba DVD SD-C2102 IBM FRU 05K9106
which works ok also with disc burner I have in office.

theres a region free firmware update for that drive
i tried it and it works perfect .
check out the firmware page and download modded firmware that matches or supercedes your firmware,theres also original factory firmware too incase for any reason one is not too sure.

**pogeman,the tp 600x does dont facilitate the xtra height cards about 50mm max can fit ,conversely you may fit if longer but you'll have to hack some of the lower case unless you try to remove the mobo ,fit the card the reinstall the mobo which renders that slot as semi permanently fixed.regardless this is news to me,i didn't realise that there are certain add on peripherals that incorporate the mini pci socket,what gets me is if one manages to fit an agp card will the bios allow it to run instead of the fixed onboard video card?there is a vendor on ebay selling 8mb agp matrox or ati i think for 15us
theres even ultra 133 raid controllers and ultra 160 lvd controller in mini pci form factor.amazing tech eh?
d saint"