IBM Thinkpad 600E bios mod for processor update

Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
poge
New visitors - please read the rules.

600X + SelectaDock III + PCI laptop video card (NOT AGP) = Decent graphics on an old lappy.
Heres what youll need to do.

http://www.manifestos.net/pkiff/thinkpa ... _cards.htm

Selectadock III allows you to run graphics card on an old tihnkpad in the pci slot. There is a list of compatibilty on that link. With a little hacking, there may be even more compatible pci graphics cards, as even bigger ones will fit. Good luck, and If you ever would consider trading your 600x for my 600e, I'd pay shipping and do it in a second, as I dont run windows xp (to much overhead), I run win2k. The best card thats compatible right now is a 64MB Voodoo 5 5500. And runs fine with windows and selectadock.
prizal_a

Dear All...
i want to know about the differences between IBM THINKPAD 770 and IBM THINKPAD 770z/d?

could i upgrade the processor into piii mmc2?
thanx a lot
beatoem
Chip off the ol' block

pogeman i am running 1 tp 600,2x tp600 e and 2x 600x ,unfortunately one of the 600x is giving me issues (seizes in win xp after 4-5 minutes,
regardless of cpu ,ram disabled and enabled.
i am gonna leave this one open for overclocking experiment some time in the future,but at this stage no one has dared to overclock tp 600x.
the other 600x is running 750 just fine now (replaced the thermal mat to hp blue type mat)i finally sorted out speedswitch and xp issue,problem layed in microsoft os which could not defy the diff between desktop and notebook cpus power managment requirements,fortunately i didn't trust microsoft and selected intel only ,instead of intel p111 cpu and it now seems to work perfect.
regardless the tp 600e seems to run quieter,smoother,more responsive and gives nothing away(regardless of ram)to the 600x graphics performance.
also i barely if any noticed any difference between 540 and 702 mghz on the 600e,moreso than 540/108 compared to 500/100.conversely the
only feature i can see the 600x has of any benefit is the mini pci slot(in my case found it has a 56k /v92 lucent modem,(thought they were v90 :? )
*one can source a dock 111 from ebay(usa)if residing there, for very cheaply too,i find the dock to be excellent on the tp765 and 600 + 600e p11/400.
give it time and 600x mobos will be cheaper than 600e.
i should know because i sourced my 600x cheaper than any other thinkpad i ever purchased(and all deals were exceptionally good).
Last edited by beatoem on Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
d saint"
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Beatoem,

The package arrived. Thanks. Is it a 600E or 600 PCB?
beatoem
Chip off the ol' block

Sharedoc wrote:Beatoem,

The package arrived. Thanks. Is it a 600E or 600 PCB?

excellent, the pcb is from a tp600e that was password locked,
the full mainboard is the one that worked perfect till i fitted cpu with bent pins which more than likely damaged the pins or power regulator
but that bios was perfect(no passwords) you get that :?
ram is micron cas 333 /pc 133 ,i tested it on all my bx chipsets it booted ok but showed incompatability errors,seeing that your punting the hybrid 600e i figure it may work ok and may be good ram to see max fsb attained (if it registers ok).
let us know how the transplant goes.
d saint"
ChrisL
BIOS Newbie

What are you working on sharedoc?
beatoem
Chip off the ol' block

chrisl
i think (but may be wrong)sharedoc was working on the tp600e bios to get the p111 cpu detected with cache n all,maybe the flash went astray,thats why its important we offer backup to them that are willing to put their equipment at risk for the sake of helping others.i hope he gets his rig up and running sooner than later,
hows the cooling going on your rig?
i filed the tp 600x heatsink sharp edges back,reset the vcore to 1.5v/
fitted a blue thermal mat over the original mat ,carefully tensioned the heatsink (not too tight on the screws,but enough to allow the thermal mat to grip with the cpu,moreso than before)750mghz is now beaut,im gonna try on the 600e @810 to see how it goes.
*do you know of any software that measures cpu temps on tp600e,600x?
if so whats the name of it?
**damm that 600x is almost perfect in xp now with speedstep operation
but the damm thing requires fn/f8 keys to overcome a boot hang when cold,once its warm it doesn't require any keys ,i'm now pondering id i should raise the vcore on the 650 a tad to see if it sorts out cold boot hang issue :? 3 diiferent 650 cpu +win 9x does exactly the same thing
maybe ditching speedstep v1.1 for speedswitch xp 1.14 again may get that sorted,but unlike speedstep 1.1 ,speedswitch needs to reboot for one to change over cpu speeds.
d saint"
poge

K, really off topic but this is really wierd. But beatoem, how did you know I also go by the name of pogeman?
beatoem
Chip off the ol' block

poge wrote:K, really off topic but this is really wierd. But beatoem, how did you know I also go by the name of pogeman?

cause your a bloke?or your mail address?
did you try to source a jae 50 pin to ide adapter to flash that drive on
a desktop yet? i got the same issue with a few dvd ram burners
unfortunately being panasonic and of the sony vaio kind they really keep firmware to themselfs so i guess they are only good for desktops,servers.
(ironically the 810-811 models are exactly the same drives,panasonic went through all the trouble to severly tape that 811 in alloy tape to lure techies away from finding them out(shifty bunch).
now if i can find a universal firmware extractor and flash program i can extract the firmware from the 811 and upgrade the 810s not only doubling dvd burner speeds but also making them fully compatable with 99% of laptops because the 811 has s/m firmware.
only other dramas is with panasonic ujda 7xxx sereis.
d saint"
ChrisL
BIOS Newbie

I use mobile meter to measure temps. Im using a 600e fan and the heatsink I modified to do the cooling. Works great... temps never go above 60* C and I don't have the 192 boot error anymore and the ACPI in the BIOS handles the 600E fan as normal. Great setup! I want to push it alittle more though now that I have a stable platform and work my way up to the high 900's.
beatoem
Chip off the ol' block

ChrisL wrote:I use mobile meter to measure temps. Im using a 600e fan and the heatsink I modified to do the cooling. Works great... temps never go above 60* C and I don't have the 192 boot error anymore and the ACPI in the BIOS handles the 600E fan as normal. Great setup! I want to push it alittle more though now that I have a stable platform and work my way up to the high 900's.
where abouts do you exactly mount your probe?

thought it meant mobile meter like in mobile multimeter :oops:
Last edited by beatoem on Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d saint"
ChrisL
BIOS Newbie

No need for extra sensors. There is an ACPI thermal diode on the CPU die that can measure the temp. Just download and install Mobilemeter, the programmer has already written code for the diode so you can use it.
beatoem
Chip off the ol' block

ChrisL wrote:No need for extra sensors. There is an ACPI thermal diode on the CPU die that can measure the temp. Just download and install Mobilemeter, the programmer has already written code for the diode so you can use it.
excellent tool :wink:
stocky 600x/650 maxed out @ 68c full load stess test,43c normal operation.look forward to see the temps on other noteboooks too.
dunno what other temps are though ,maybe next one below is video chipset temp no?.
d saint"
Smeghead
BIOS Newbie

Does anyone else get misreported processor speeds by windows? I transplanted PIII 750 awhile ago in my 600e. Windows reports it as 167 mhz, but mobometer reports it correctly as 600mhz.
beatoem
Chip off the ol' block

sounds like its preset on power saving mode,either set powermangment to max performance ,desktop etc,and or you may have to add ibms power managment utility ontop of config managment to set cpu parameters.
d saint"