Don't ask how to hack password. (BIOS Passwords)
#13169 by butlerjc
Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:13 pm
I am hoping that I haven't joined the ranks of the idiots who try this procedure and end up with expensive doorstops. At this point, I have my laptop ready to ship back to the manufacturer, but I just wanted to take one last stab at finding a way to get past the problem without such drastic action.

Here's the sob story:

I have a generic-built laptop from the now-defunct Windrover company. It has a MiTAC 6020 motherboard, running SystemSoft BIOS v1.10. I tried to add RAM, but it was not recognized. Kingston Technology website suggested old BIOS. I went to MiTAC and found v1.14 and followed their instructions to the letter. Everything looked perfect until I hit the power switch on reboot. System powers up, goes thru memory check fine, but then hangs on "Auto-detecting IDE Devices". Can't get past that to the A: prompt. (So far the only good thing that has come of this is that I can tear apart and rebuild my entire machine in about 10 minutes.) Have I killed it? I've run out of things to try other than shipping it somewhere.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks.

Jim C.
Tampa, FL